Syrian government returns to Geneva talks, Western envoys skeptical

UN mediator Staffan de Mistura, third left, shakes hands with head of the Syrian Negotiation Commission Nasr Al-Hariri, third right, and opposition delegation members (from left) Khaled Al-Mahamid, Hanadi Abu Arab, Jamal Suliman and Safwan Akash, on the opening of a new round of Syria’s talks in Geneva on November 28. (Reuters)
Updated 10 December 2017
Follow

Syrian government returns to Geneva talks, Western envoys skeptical

GENEVA: The Syrian government’s delegation returned to Geneva on Sunday for the resumption of talks with UN mediator Staffan de Mistura after more than a week’s absence, but Western diplomats voiced skepticism about its willingness to engage.
Bashar Al-Ja’afari, Syria’s ambassador to the UN and chief negotiator in talks aimed at finding a political solution to end the nearly seven-year-old war, landed in a snowstorm on a flight from Beirut, a Reuters reporter on board said. Ja’afari declined to comment.
De Mistura convened an eighth round of separate talks with the government and unified opposition delegations on November 28, focusing on constitutional reform as well as elections.
But Ja’afari arrived a day late and left after two days, saying the opposition had “mined the road” to the talks by insisting that President Bashar Assad could not play any interim role in Syria’s political transition.
De Mistura told reporters last Thursday that he would assess this week whether either side is trying to “sabotage” the process.
“The opposition has been extremely constructive and willing to get down to it,” a senior Western diplomat said. “They are in a difficult place while being criticized internally and pressured by the fact that the regime is bombing away in eastern Ghouta and other places.”
The diplomat told Reuters that the government’s failure to return as scheduled on December 5 had been “a clear sign of not being interested in engaging in the political process.”
Russian President Vladimir Putin has suggested holding a Syrian congress in the Russian city of Sochi early in 2018. Diplomats see his plan as a bid to draw a line under the war and celebrate Moscow’s role as the power that tipped the balance of the war and became the key player in the peace process.


Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters

Updated 30 min 48 sec ago
Follow

Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters

  • Renewed talks ‌scheduled in early March ⁠and ⁠could possibly lead to an interim deal

DUBAI: Iran and the United States have differing views over the scope and ​mechanism to lift sanctions on Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that new talks were planned in early ‌March. The official ‌said Tehran ​could ‌seriously ⁠consider ​a combination of ⁠exporting part of its highly enriched uranium (HEU) stockpile, diluting the purity of its HEU and a regional consortium for enriching uranium, but in return Iran’s ⁠right to “peacful nuclear enrichment” ‌must be ‌recognized.
“The negotiations continue and ​the possibility ‌of reaching an interim agreement exists,” ‌the official said. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Friday that he expected to have a draft ‌counterproposal ready within days following nuclear talks with the ⁠United ⁠States this week, while US President Donald Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.
The senior official said Tehran will not hand over control of its oil and mineral resources but US companies can always participate as contractors in Iran’s oil ​and gas ​fields.