Cricket skipper Kohli powers past 5,000 runs as India target big score

India’s captain Virat Kohli, right, congratulates Murli Vijay after he scored a fifty during the first day of their third test cricket match against Sri Lanka in New Delhi on Saturday, December 2. (AP)
Updated 02 December 2017
Follow

Cricket skipper Kohli powers past 5,000 runs as India target big score

NEW DELHI: Murali Vijay hit a century and skipper Virat Kohli powered past a new scoring landmark as India made 245-2 by tea on the opening day of the third Test against Sri Lanka on Saturday.
Vijay was on 101 while Kohli’s 94 took him past 5,000 Test runs in his 63rd game. The pair put on an unbeaten 167 as Sri Lanka again suffered on their India tour.
Having made his fifty before lunch, Vijay smashed a boundary off left-arm wrist spinner Lakshan Sandakan to register his second successive ton in the three-match series.
The right-hand opener celebrated his 11th Test ton with a little jig as the raucous home crowd applauded.
Kohli, fresh from his 213 during India’s thrashing of Sri Lanka in the second Test in Nagpur, led the batting charge with 14 boundaries in his 101-ball stay.
Off-spinner Dilruwan Perera, who got his 100th Test scalp in taking opener Shikhar Dhawan early in the day, failed to trouble the two batsmen at the crease.
Perera had struck in his second over to send Dhawan packing for 23 after the left-handed opener top-edged a sweep to deep-midwicket.
Cheteshwar Pujara was the second man out, caught at leg slip for 23 after flicking a sliding delivery from paceman Lahiru Gamage. He made 23.


UK Athletics admits corporate manslaughter in death of UAE Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

UK Athletics admits corporate manslaughter in death of UAE Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei

  • UK Athletics had initially denied the charge when it appeared in court in March 2025 but entered a guilty plea on Friday

LONDON: UK Athletics has admitted corporate manslaughter over the death of Emirati Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei, who was killed in a training accident in London in 2017, it was reported on Friday.

Hayayei, 36, died after a heavy metal cage collapsed on him while he was preparing for the World Para-Athletics Championships at Newham Leisure Centre in July of that year.

The governing body had initially denied the charge when it appeared in court in March 2025 but entered a guilty plea on Friday during a hearing at the Old Bailey in London, media reports said.

Keith Davies, the head of sport for the London 2017 World Para-Athletics Championships, also pleaded guilty to a health and safety offense.

The 78-year-old had previously denied a charge of gross negligence manslaughter.

Prosecutor Karen Robinson told the court a two-day sentencing hearing should be scheduled for early June, confirming the prosecution would not pursue a trial and that all remaining matters would be resolved following sentencing.

Davies was granted continued bail, subject to conditions including cooperation with the UK Probation Service in the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

At the time of the fatal incident, Hayayei was training to compete at the London championships.

The UAE athlete had been due to take part in the F34 shot put, discus and javelin events.

A father of five, Hayayei made his Paralympic debut at the Rio Paralympics in 2016, finishing sixth in the javelin and seventh in the shot put.

London 2017 was set to be his second world championships appearance, having placed fifth in the discus and eighth in the shot put at the 2015 event in Doha.

A moment of silence was observed in Hayayei’s memory during the opening ceremony at the London Stadium.