Wenger rules out Sanchez and Ozil exits in January

Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez celebrates scoring their second goal with Mesut Ozil on November 18, 2017. (File photo: Action Images via Reuters)
Updated 28 November 2017
Follow

Wenger rules out Sanchez and Ozil exits in January

LONDON: Arsene Wenger has ruled out January departures for Arsenal pair Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil unless “something unbelievable” happens even as the clock ticks down on their contracts.
The players are out of contract at the end of the season as both have so far refused to sign new deals at the Emirates.
Ozil has been linked with a move to Barcelona while Sanchez almost joined Manchester City on the final day of the summer transfer window, only for Arsenal to pull the plug when they failed to land Monaco’s Thomas Lemar as his replacement.
Wenger says he has no concerns over the commitment of the pair, with Sanchez scoring a last-gasp penalty as the Gunners won 1-0 at Burnley on Sunday to move into the Premier League top four.
Arsenal host Huddersfield on Wednesday, with Ozil likely to be missing because of the illness that ruled him out at Turf Moor but Wenger believes the influential pair will not be sold in January — even though they could then walk away from the club for free six months later.
“Yes, I rule it out,” Wenger said at his pre-match press conference when asked about potential departures.
“I do not think about that every day. At the moment, as long as they are here, they have to give their best for the team and for the club.
“In my head, they stay until the end of the season and that’s a decision that was taken at the start of the season. Unless something unbelievable happens, I can’t see why that would change.”
However, Wenger could not offer Arsenal supporters assurances that either player would be tempted to sign new deals and extend their stays beyond 2018.
“They’re into the final year of their contract,” he said. “Will they stay longer? That’s impossible to answer today because I don’t know. They have a contract until the end of the season.
“I am not the only one who can decide that. They have a part to play in that as well. If it’s my decision, yes (they would stay longer).”
Another player whose contract expires at the end of the season is England midfielder Jack Wilshere, who has been restricted to just three substitute appearances in the Premier League.
“He’s a football man and I will always decide what is best for him. That is my first priority no matter what kind of decision I make,” Wenger said. “I have to consider the interests of Jack Wilshere and Arsenal Football Club together.”


T20 World Cup: England rout Sri Lanka for 95 to win Super Eights opener

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

T20 World Cup: England rout Sri Lanka for 95 to win Super Eights opener

  • England were asked to bat first, scored what looked like below-par 146-9
  • Archer, Will Jacks took five wickets to leave Sri Lanka top order in tatters

KANDY: England routed Sri Lanka for 95 to give captain Harry Brook a perfect birthday present as they opened the T20 World Cup Super Eights phase with a resounding 51-run win in Kandy on Sunday.

After England were asked to bat first and scored what looked like a below-par 146-9, Jofra Archer and Will Jacks took five wickets during the six-over power play to leave Sri Lanka’s top order in tatters at 34-5.

“That’s a beautiful birthday present,” said Brook, who turned 27 on Sunday.

“I thought we played exceptionally there. To get over the line and bowl them out for less than 100 is an awesome effort.

“I didn’t think there were really any demons on the pitch. I think the spinners on both sides used the pace really well, and that’s what brought a lot of wickets.”

It was England’s 12th win in a row against Sri Lanka and on a pitch that was sticky and slow after rain all week in Kandy.

The margin of victory gives them a healthy net run rate advantage in a Super Eights group that could be further affected by weather, after the New Zealand-Pakistan match was washed out on Saturday in Colombo.

“We’re buzzing with that,” said Jacks who was named player of the match for the third time in five matches in the tournament.

“At the halfway stage, we were pleased to get up to 146, but obviously we knew we were going to have to bowl well and work hard.”

The searing pace of Jofra Archer accounted for both openers, including the in-form Pathum Nissanka (9), who had scored a century and 62 in his last two knocks but failed to clear Jamie Overton at deep mid-wicket.

Archer finished with 2-20 and Jacks 3-22, the latter accounting for Kusal Mendis (4) and Pavan Rathnayake (0) in consecutive balls.

Dunith Wellalage staved off the hat-trick but lasted only 10 balls before also falling to Jacks, for 10.

LONE BATTLE

Dasun Shanaka fought a lone battle scoring 30 off 24 balls before falling to Adil Rashid.

The Sri Lanka captain took on the leg-spinner but Jacks took the catch and tossed the ball to Tom Banton before stepping over the boundary.

“It’s one bad game which is not affordable in a World Cup,” said Shanaka.

“But we need to bounce back in the next couple of games.”

Sri Lanka earlier restricted England to 146-9 with left-arm spinner Wellalage taking 3-26.

Phil Salt scored 62 at the top of the order but Sri Lanka, who are missing three of their frontline bowlers, contained the rest of the England batting line-up with regular wickets.

Wellalage was introduced during the power play and trapped the out-of-form Jos Buttler (7) and Brook (14), both lbw, as England limped to 68-4 at the halfway mark.

Salt was caught in the deep off Wellalage after facing 40 deliveries with six fours and two sixes.

Jacks, with 21, was the only other England batsman to score more than 20.

“Jacksie was pretty annoyed with the way he got out,” said Brook, who then explained why the new ball was tossed to the off-spinner.

“He said to me he always bowls better when he’s angry, and thankfully he got off to a cracking start.”

Left-arm seamer Dilshan Madushanka took 2-25 while Maheesh Theekshana took 2-21 with his offspin.