Joshua stops stubborn Takam in 10th round, retains heavyweight titles

1 / 3
Carlos Takam staggers after being knocked down by Anthony Joshua in their heavyweight match on Saturday at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Britain. (Action Images via Reuters/Peter Cziborra)
2 / 3
Anthony Joshua celebrates with his father, Robert Joshua, after his victory over Carlos Takam at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Britain, on Saturday night. (Action Images via Reuters/Andrew Couldridge)
3 / 3
Cameroon-born Carlos Takam (L) exchanges blows with Britain's Anthony Joshua (R) during their world heavyweight title fight at The Principality Stadium in Cardiff on October 28, 2017. ( AFP / ADRIAN DENNIS)
Updated 29 October 2017

Joshua stops stubborn Takam in 10th round, retains heavyweight titles

CARDIFF, UK: Anthony Joshua maintained his 100 percent knockout ratio by stopping a bloodied Carlos Takam in the tenth round on Saturday.
The English boxer retained his International Boxing Federation and World Boxing Association world heavyweight titles with a devastating display of his punching power to finish Cameroon’s France-based challenger at the Principality Stadium.
Takam became Joshua’s 20th consecutive knockout victim in a fourth defense of his IBF belt and first of his WBA title, but the challenger stubbornly resisted the champion after being cut by the right eye in the fourth round.
“It was a good fight until the ref stopped it. I have the upmost respect for Takam,” said Joshua, who injured his nose from a headbutt in the second round.
“Imagine if it’s broke and I couldn’t breath and he started catching up in the middle rounds? It would have been a disaster, so I kept my cool. You have to control these situations because, if I showed any signs of weakness, the ref could have jumped in.”
Takam was also given a count in the fourth round before being finished off by a barrage of unanswered punches which prompted the referee Phil Edwards to stop it.
Takam complained it was a premature stoppage, which was jeered by Joshua’s fans, and the challenger was given warm applause afterwards.
“I don’t think they should have stopped it,” said Takam.
“I want the rematch if Anthony gives me it.”
Takam, 36, had only accepted his first world title shot at less than two weeks’ notice and fought for most of the fight with a gruesome cut which obscured his vision.
For Takam, it was a fourth career defeat after a points loss to Parker last year and knockout loss to Russia’s Alexander Povetkin in 2014.
Takam, who boxed for Cameroon at the 2004 Olympics before relocating to Paris a year later, was drafted in as a late replacement opponent at 12 days’ notice after Bulgaria’s Kubrat Pulev injured a shoulder.
Joshua made an especially cautious start, not landing any power punches in the opening round, as he took time to assess Takam, who fought out of a crouch and burst forward with punches.
Joshua landed a good left-right combination in the second round, but did not have as much success in the third.
In the fourth, Takam suffered a nasty cut by the right eye from a big right from Joshua which caused him problems instantly with his vision due to the blood.
When the fight continued, Takam was caught by a left that sent him spinning and was given a count as his glove was ruled to have touched down.
Takam bravely fought back in the fifth but Joshua teed off on him in the sixth, landing heavy, unanswered blows.
Takam had some of his best moments of the fight in the seventh round as he repeatedly caught Joshua.
Joshua tried to regain momentum in the eighth with two left hands that shook Takam, who was inspected by the ringside doctor at the start of the ninth round.
Takam was allowed to fight on but in the tenth he was shook by a right to the head and as Joshua unloaded more punches that landed flush, referee Phil Edwards stopped the fight.

Undercard fights
On the undercard, Dillian Whyte unanimously out-pointed Finland’s Robert Helenius by scores of 119-109 twice and 118-110 to move into contention for a shot at the WBC world heavyweight title.
Ireland’s Katie Taylor won a world title in her seventh professional fight after unanimously out-pointing Anahi Sanchez for the vacant WBA lightweight belt by three scores of 99-90.
England’s Kal Yafai also unanimously out-pointed Japan’s Sho Ishida in a second defense of his WBA world super-flyweight title, winning by scores of 118-110, 116-112 and 116-112.


Racing in the streets: Jeddah to host first Saudi F1 Grand Prix

Updated 29 October 2020

Racing in the streets: Jeddah to host first Saudi F1 Grand Prix

  • Kingdom’s inaugural race to take place in city while purpose-built track at Qiddiyah is being completed

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s inaugural Formula 1 Grand Prix next year will take place on the city streets of Jeddah.
The Saudi Grand Prix appears on the provisional F1 calendar for 2021 that has been distributed to race teams. It is expected to be the penultimate race of the 2021 season, which will conclude
with the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the Yas Marina circuit.
Jeddah will host the Saudi race while a new purpose-built track at Qiddiyah is completed, which is expected to be in 2023.
It is one of 22 races on a provisional 2021 schedule as F1 plans to return to a calendar as close to normal as possible after this year’s disruption. The first 10 races of the 2020 season were either postponed or cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

HIGHLIGHT

The Saudi Grand Prix is one of 22 races on a provisional 2021 schedule as F1 plans to return to a calendar as close to normal as possible after this year’s

The 2021 season will begin in Melbourne, Australia in mid-March and then goes on to Bahrain. It includes nearly all the races that had been due to be held this year.
That means a return for grands prix in China, Japan and Canada, which had to be cancelled because of the disruptions to international travel caused by COVID-19, as well as the debut of the Vietnamese Grand Prix.
F1 has been in conversations with the relevant national governments and all are said to be in agreement the races can take place, unless the pandemic worsens.
In 2018, Riyadh hosted the first Formula E championship in the Middle East in Diriyah with 23,000 in attendance. The second Formula E championship was held in late 2019.
This year, Saudi Arabia held its first Dakar Rally, a 7,800km race that began in Jeddah and finished in Qiddiyah.