PHILLIP ISLAND, Australia: Aleix Espargaro pipped world championship leader Marc Marquez to set the fastest time in Friday’s practice ahead of this weekend’s Australian MotoGP at Phillip Island.
The Spanish Aprilia rider posted a quickest lap of one minute 29.225 seconds in second free practice on a dry track ahead of Sunday’s race.
Espargaro’s time, set on the fifth lap of his afternoon session, prevailed by just 0.005secs over Marquez, who almost bettered the time on his penultimate lap.
Marquez, who leads the world championship by 11 points with three races left, clocked 1:29.230 following his chart-topping 1:29.602 in the morning session.
Championship challenger Andrea Dovizioso was third quickest overall, finishing just 0.097secs behind Espargaro.
Ducati’s Dovizioso downed Marquez on the final lap to win last weekend’s rain-soaked Japanese GP and is second in the world championship.
Briton Cal Crutchlow, the winner of last year’s Australian race, was fourth fastest on a Honda, only 0.104secs down on the leader’s time.
Spain’s Maverick Vinales was fifth fastest despite coming off his Yamaha early in afternoon practice.
Australian Jack Miller, in his first MotoGP event back since breaking a leg during training, was sixth ahead of Suzuki’s Andrea Iannone.
Six-time premier class Phillip Island winner, Valentino Rossi, trailed in 12th place overall on his Yamaha, some 0.752secs behind Espargaro’s time.
The weather on the opening day was sunny, but the forecast for Saturday is for cooler temperatures and possible showers.
Motorcycling: Espargaro edges Marquez in Phillip Island practice
Motorcycling: Espargaro edges Marquez in Phillip Island practice
FIFA and Board of Peace to support Gaza reconstruction through football
- The Board of Peace, established under the US President Donald Trump, held its first meeting focused on Gaza’s reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the territory once Hamas disarms
FIFA and the Board of Peace signed a partnership agreement on Thursday to attract investment from global leaders and institutions for sustainable development in conflict-affected regions through football.
The Board of Peace, established under the US President Donald Trump, held its first meeting focused on Gaza’s reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the territory once Hamas disarms.
The disarmament of Hamas militants and accompanying withdrawal of Israeli troops, the size of the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-torn population are expected to pose significant challenges to the board’s effectiveness in the coming months.
The FIFA collaboration plan includes building 50 mini-pitches near schools and residential areas in Gaza, five full-size pitches across multiple districts, a state-of-the-art FIFA academy and a new 20,000-seat national stadium, FIFA said.
Trump said FIFA will raise $75 million for football-related projects in Gaza.
“Today, FIFA and the Board of Peace have signed a landmark partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose of helping the recovery process in post conflict areas,” FIFA President Gianni Infantino said in a statement.
“Together with the support of the Board of Peace, FIFA will drive this partnership which is built to deliver impact at every stage.”
The program will also emphasize job creation, youth participation, organized leagues for boys and girls, community engagement and the stimulation of local commercial activities, FIFA said.









