Activists say dozens of buses enter Syria’s Raqqa as battle with Daesh nears end

Civilians who escaped from Daesh militants at Raqqa’s frontline rest at a mosque in Raqqa, Syria on October 12. (Reuters)
Updated 14 October 2017
Follow

Activists say dozens of buses enter Syria’s Raqqa as battle with Daesh nears end

BEIRUT: Dozens of buses entered Syria’s Daesh-held Raqqa city overnight, an activist group with sources in Raqqa said on Saturday.
Activist group Raqqa Is Being Slaughtered Silently said on its Facebook page it did not know why buses were there but they had “headed from the northern Raqqa countryside toward Raqqa city last night.”
During the more than six-year Syrian conflict, the arrival of buses in a conflict zone has often signaled an evacuation is about to begin.
The US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias, have reached the final stages of a battle to drive surrounded Daesh militants from their last Raqqa positions.
The SDF could not be immediately reached for comment.
In August, Daesh fighters agreed to be evacuated from a Lebanon-Syria border area, the first time the militants had publicly agreed to a forced evacuation from territory it held in Syria.
Civilians have been making perilous journeys to escape the Daesh-held areas as SDF forces advance. The SDF says it helps transport them away from the fighting after they flee.
The offensive to drive Daesh out of Raqqa, its de facto Syrian capital which it seized in 2014, has long outlasted initial predictions by SDF officials who said ahead of a final assault in June that it could take just weeks.


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.