ADDIS ABABA/PARIS: The African Union (AU) on Wednesday expressed its “bewilderment” at US President Donald Trump’s inclusion of Chad on an updated and open-ended travel ban list issued at the weekend while France urged the US to quickly reverse its decision, as Chad it said was an ally in the fight against terrorist groups.
While welcoming Sudan’s removal from the new list issued Sunday, the AU said it had been “perplexed” by the presence of three African countries — Libya, Somalia and Sudan — on Trump’s original travel ban.
In a statement, it criticized the “unjust” inclusion of Chad, a country with a long history of cooperation with the US on counter-terrorism.
The AU statement “expressed bewilderment at the imposition of the unjust travel ban on the Republic of Chad, in particular, given its important role in the fight against terrorism in the Lake Chad Basin, Northern Mali, and the Sahel.”
Chadian forces, sometimes in close collaboration with the US military, play a leading role in fighting against Nigeria’s Boko Haram militants.
Chad has suffered militant attacks and its capital, N’Djamena, hosts the five-country Multinational Joint Task Force against Boko Haram.
The new travel ban indefinitely blocks citizens of listed countries from entry to the US.
The AU said it shares US concerns over “the threat of terrorism and violent extremism” but that “cooperation and meaningful engagement” were the answer.
“The free and legal movement of people is the foundation of a stronger and mutually enriching relationship between the African continent and the United States,” the AU added.
On Sunday, Trump acknowledged Chad as “an important and valuable counterterrorism partner” but added it “does not adequately share public-safety and terrorism-related information” and warned that “several terrorist groups are active within Chad or in the surrounding region.”
Iran, North Korea, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen, alongside the three African countries, are subject to the new ban which takes effect on Oct. 18.
Paris urges US to lift ban
France said on Wednesday it was surprised by new US travel restrictions on citizens from Chad, which Paris said was an ally in the fight against terrorist groups, and urged the US to quickly reverse its decision.
US President Donald Trump on Sunday imposed a new ban on citizens from North Korea, Venezuela and Chad, expanding to eight the list of countries covered by his original travel bans that have been derided by critics and challenged in court.
“We learned with surprise of the United States’ decision to expand its entry ban on Chadian citizens,” French Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Agnes Romatet-Espagne said.
“Chad is a decisive partner in the fight against terrorism. It has mobilized from the start and paid a heavy price in this battle.”
France considers its former colony as its main ally in the fight against militants in West Africa and the headquarters of its 4,000-strong counter-terrorism Operation Barkhane force is in the Chadian capital N’djamena. The US also has a base in the city.
“France hopes that with this in mind the United States and Chad... will find a quick solution that will enable this ban to be lifted,” Romatet-Espagne said.
African Union, France criticize US travel ban on Chad
African Union, France criticize US travel ban on Chad
Nigeria govt critic detained by anti-corruption agency
Abuja: Nigeria’s anti-corruption agency said Tuesday it was questioning opposition politician Nasir El-Rufai, a prominent critic of President Bola Tinubu.
The authorities launched court proceedings on Monday against El-Rufai, a former governor of Kaduna state, after he said on Nigerian television he had tapped the phone of Tinubu’s national security adviser.
Local media said he was being questioned about the alleged misuse of 432 billion naira ($319 million) during his stint as governor of Kaduna between 2015 and 2023.
He was summoned to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and appeared voluntarily, EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale told AFP on Tuesday.
“He was invited and he honored the invitation,” Oyewale said. “He is being interviewed now.”
El-Rufai told TV channel Arise News on Friday he had intercepted calls from Tinubu’s aide Nuhu Ribadu, whom he accused of using the security services as his “personal tools.”
He also said the west African country’s domestic intelligence agency, DSS, had tried to arrest him at Abuja airport the day before but he had refused to go with them.
El-Rufai, who recently declared that he was still considering whether to challenge Tinubu in the 2027 presidential election, said the anti-corruption commission had “procured the DSS to abduct me for them.”
“This is their modus operandi. They are personal tools of Nuhu Ribadu,” he said.
At the weekend, he posted on X a letter addressed to Ribadu asking the latter to explain an alleged delivery of 10 kilogrammes of thallium sulphate, a highly toxic chemical.
Another senior member of El-Rufai’s opposition African Democratic Congress (ADC) party, former justice minister Abubakar Malami, is also facing legal proceedings over allegations of terrorism and money-laundering.









