Gore: US to meet Paris climate accords despite Trump

Former US Vice President Al Gore
Updated 19 September 2017
Follow

Gore: US to meet Paris climate accords despite Trump

NEW YORK: The US will meet its commitments to the Paris climate agreement with or without the support of the Trump administration, former Vice President Al Gore told a summit in New York.
“The US will meet its obligations under the Paris accords regardless of what the executive branch says or does,” he said on Monday.
The administration of US President Donald Trump has wavered in its threat to pull out of the Paris accord in recent days, with some White House officials hinting that America would remain in the deal but seek less stringent requirements of US businesses.
“Whether that happens or not, US states and cities and businesses and industries are moving forward. The projections now indicate that the United States will meet the commitments made at Paris whether it is affirmed by the federal government or not,” Gore said.
He was speaking as business leaders, policymakers and representatives of civil society came together in New York under the auspices of the World Economic Forum (WEF) to push the agenda for sustainability and economic development.
The WEF event — the Sustainable Development Impact Summit — is discussing issues ranging from climate change to human capital, and launching initiatives to tackle specific areas of concern.
One of the first initiatives is a plan to “end the human toll and pollution” behind smartphone and electric car battery manufacture via a “global battery alliance” to improve conditions in the multibillion-dollar industry.

Other initiatives are set to follow
The Middle East has traditionally been ranked relatively low In the indices for sustainable development, but governments in Saudi Arabia and the UAE have given it high priority in the economic development strategies policymakers have recently launched.
At an event last week in New York, Abdallah Al-Mouallimi, Saudi ambassador to the UN, drew similarities between the Kingdom’s Vision 2030 strategy and the UN’s own 2030 agenda for sustainable development.


Five miners trapped deep underground after mudslide hits South African diamond mine

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Five miners trapped deep underground after mudslide hits South African diamond mine

  • The miners have been trapped since the early hours of Tuesday, according to a labor alliance
  • The mine is in the central city of Kimberley, which is renowned for its diamond mines
JOHANNESBURG: Five miners were trapped deep underground at a South African diamond mine after a mudslide flooded a shaft they were working in, mine officials and a labor union said Thursday.
The miners have been trapped since the early hours of Tuesday, according to the Congress of South African Trade Unions — an alliance of labor unions that includes the main mineworkers union. The congress said the miners were thought to be trapped around 800 meters (half a mile) underground.
Ekapa Mining General Manager Howard Marsden, whose company operates the mine, told national broadcaster SABC on Wednesday that rescuers were pumping water out of the shaft while a separate team was trying to drill a hole to where the miners were believed to be trapped to try to establish communication with them “or any proof of life.”
The mine is in the central city of Kimberley, which is renowned for its diamond mines and was at the heart of the global industry after diamonds were discovered in the area in the late 1800s.
The Minerals Council of South Africa said this month in its annual safety report that 41 miners died in mining accidents in South Africa last year, a record low and down from hundreds a year in the 1990s and early 2000s.
South Africa is among the world’s biggest producers of diamonds and gold, and the top producer of platinum.