UN nuclear agency rejects Iran’s stance on military sites

In this March 6, 2017 file photo, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA, Yukiya Amano of Japan speaks in Vienna, Austria. The top U.N. official monitoring Iran’s nuclear program, Yukiya Amano on Thursday Aug. 31, 2017, rejected Tehran’s claim that its military sites were off limits to inspection, saying his agency needs to have access to all “relevant locations” if suspicions arise of possible hidden activities.(AP)
Updated 02 September 2017
Follow

UN nuclear agency rejects Iran’s stance on military sites

VIENNA: The top UN official monitoring Iran’s nuclear program on Thursday rejected Tehran’s claim that its military sites were off-limits to inspection, saying his agency needs access to all “relevant locations” if suspicions arise of possible hidden atomic activities.
The comments by International Atomic Energy Agency chief Yukiya Amano are significant — his agency is policing the deal capping atomic activities that Iran says are peaceful but the US suspects are a covert pursuit of nuclear arms.
Adding to their weight is their timing. President Donald Trump has repeatedly criticized the deal as too soft on Tehran and has left open the option of pulling out of the treaty that Washington and five other world powers agreed to with Iran just over two years ago.
Although Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany also signed on to the pact, Iran and the US were the key players. A US pullout could effectively kill the agreement, and lead Iran to quickly ramp up programs that could be used to make weapons.
In added US pressure on Iran, Nikki Haley, Washington’s UN ambassador, met with Amano last week to underline the American view that military sites are part of any IAEA monitoring. Iranian officials from President Hassan Rouhani down have rejected that option, with government spokesman Mohammad Bagher Nobakht this week dismissing any push for military inspections as a “dream.”
Amano didn’t directly contradict the Iranian officials, saying his agency doesn’t react to “news reports.”
But he told The Associated Press that under monitoring conditions accepted by Iran, his agency “has access to (all) locations without making distinctions between military and civilian locations” as it works to ensure that Iran doesn’t have hidden nuclear activities.
Haley, in a statement Thursday, said that if “inspections of Iranian military sites are ‘merely a dream,’ then Iranian compliance .... is also a dream.”
Even if Iran accepts such inspections, it is bound to demand stringent concessions.
IAEA experts normally do the work of swiping equipment and sampling the soil and air at sites they suspect was used for hidden nuclear activities. But in the last known inspection of a military site, the agency allowed Iranian personnel to do that work under limited conditions two years ago at Parchin, a facility where the agency suspects Iranian scientists worked in the past on atomic arms.
But while the previous US administration showed flexibility in its pursuit of a nuclear understanding with Iran, the Trump presidency is unlikely to follow suit as it looks for possible reasons to abrogate the pact.
The deal outlines what Tehran has to do to pull back its nuclear program from the brink of weapons-making capacity in return for economic and other sanctions relief for Iran.
Amano’s agency on Thursday noted no violations by Tehran in its latest quarterly Iran monitoring report. At the same time, the report said that the agency continues to hunt for “undeclared nuclear material and activities.”


Ex-diplomats defend UN Palestinians expert Francesca Albanese against France FM

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Ex-diplomats defend UN Palestinians expert Francesca Albanese against France FM

  • More than 150 European ex-diplomats and lawmakers urge Jean-Noel Barrot to retract ‘inaccurate’ comments about Albanese
  • UN expert says claims she referred to Israel as a “common enemy” are completely false
PARIS: More than 150 European ex-diplomats and lawmakers on Wednesday urged France’s foreign minister to retract “inaccurate” comments about a UN expert on Palestinians rights who he wants to resign.
France and Germany have called for Francesca Albanese to step down over remarks in which she referred to a “common enemy of humanity” after criticizing “most of the world” and the media for enabling Israel’s “genocide” in Gaza.
Critics and Israel have accused the UN Special Rapporteur of referring to Israel as a “common enemy,” while Albanese has denounced this as a “manipulation” and “completely false.”
In response to a question about the comments, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot on February 11 told parliament she should step down.
In an open letter sent to AFP, the former diplomats criticized what they called “the use of inaccurate and manipulated elements to discredit a holder of an independent UN mandate.”
They called on Barrot to “retract his inaccurate statements about Ms Albanese and correct them.”
“This controversy must not divert attention from the massacres of civilians, nor from the humanitarian crisis and the massive human rights violations taking place in Gaza,” said the signatories.
The letter, written in French, was signed by mostly former foreign ministers and diplomats from the Netherlands.
More than a dozen current members of parliament and senators from Europe were also among the signatories, along with a former foreign minister of South Africa.
Albanese had spoken via videoconference at a forum in Doha on February 7 organized by the Al Jazeera network.
“The fact that instead of stopping Israel, most of the world has armed, given Israel political excuses, political sheltering, economic and financial support — this is a challenge,” she had said.
Albanese said that “international law has been stabbed in the heart” but added that there is an opportunity since “we now see that we as a humanity have a common enemy.”