Daesh militants begin to leave Syria-Lebanon border zone

This frame grab from video released on Monday, Aug 28, 2017 and provided by the government-controlled Syrian Central Military Media, shows buses gathering before a planned evacuation of Daesh militants, in the mountainous region of Qalamoun, Syria. (Syrian Central Military Media, via AP)
Updated 28 August 2017
Follow

Daesh militants begin to leave Syria-Lebanon border zone

BEIRUT: A convoy of fighters and Daesh their families began to depart the Lebanon-Syria border zone on Monday under Syrian military escort, surrendering their enclave and leaving for eastern Syria after a week-long battle.
A line of ambulances and buses were shown on Syrian state television driving slowly through the arid countryside, the border’s pale hills behind them, as they departed.
It will end any Sunni militant presence on the border, an important goal for Lebanon and the Shiite Hezbollah group, and is the first time Daesh has publicly agreed to a forced evacuation from territory it held in Syria.
Daesh agreed a cease-fire on Sunday with the Lebanese army on one front and the Syrian army and Hezbollah on the other after losing much of its mountainous enclave straddling the border, paving the way for its evacuation.
Both Hezbollah and Lebanese officials have billed the evacuation as a surrender by the jihadist group.
“We do not bargain. We are in the position of the victor and are imposing conditions,” Lebanese Internal Security General Abbas Ibrahim said on Sunday.
Hezbollah, a Lebanese group, has been a close ally of Syrian President Bashar Assad through Syria’s six-year civil war. The Lebanese army said its offensive against Daesh did not involve coordination with Hezbollah or the Syrian army.
A commander in the pro-Assad military alliance said Syria and Hezbollah had accepted Daesh’s evacuation rather than a fight to the end to avert a bloody war of attrition.
Daesh fighters were sheltering among civilians and to complete the offensive would have involved great bloodshed, the commander added. “Every battle that ends with negotiation or surrender is a victory,” the commander said.

Heavy security
A total of 600 people, including both Daesh fighters and their family members, will leave in the convoy, Syria’s state-run Ikhbariya television station reported.
The militants will travel across Syria under heavy security escort to Daesh lines near Al-Bukamal in the east, a Lebanese security source said.
The Syrian army and Hezbollah were communicating with Daesh near Al-Bukamal to arrange the transfer of the convoy into jihadist territory, the security source said.
One Hezbollah prisoner and the corpses of five Hezbollah fighters, as well as the bodies of some Syrian soldiers, will be handed over by Daesh, the security source added.
Daesh fighters were earlier seen burning heavy equipment and arms which the left in the border enclave.
The deal also involved Daesh revealing the fate of nine Lebanese soldiers it captured when it overran the town of Arsal in Lebanon in 2014.
A senior Lebanese security official said late on Sunday the soldiers were almost certainly dead after recovering six bodies and digging for two others in areas previously held by Daesh.
Earlier this month, two other pockets straddling the border were recaptured by Lebanon and Syria after other militant groups accepted similar evacuation deals.
Those agreements were prompted by a brief Hezbollah offensive that began at the end of July against militants of the group formerly known as Nusra Front, which was Al-Qaeda’s official partner in Syria until last year.
Hezbollah has maintained a strong presence in the parts of Syria near the border with Lebanon for years, helping Assad to recapture several rebel-held towns and villages there.
The threat to Lebanese territory from rebel and militant groups in Syria was evident in the 2014 attack on Arsal. Suicide bomb attacks struck a predominately Shiite area in south Beirut, where Hezbollah is widely supported, in November 2015.
Inside Syria, Daesh is retreating on all fronts, losing territory both to the Syrian army and its allies, and to an alliance of Kurdish and Arab militias backed by a US-led coalition.


Hamas says path for Gaza must begin with end to ‘aggression’

Updated 12 sec ago
Follow

Hamas says path for Gaza must begin with end to ‘aggression’

GAZA CITY: Discussions on Gaza’s future must begin with a total halt to Israeli “aggression,” Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace met for the first time.
“Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people’s legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination,” Hamas said in a statement Thursday.
Trump’s board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.
“We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza,” Netanyahu said.
The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.
Trump said several countries, mostly in the Gulf, had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.
Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit’s American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.
Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.