Brussels security alert as driver says carrying explosives

A member of the DOVO - SEDEE, bomb disposal inspects a suspect car with a German number plate following a high-speed chase between police and a car who did not stop at a red light in the Molenbeek area of Brussels on Tuesday. (AFP / Belga / Nicolas Maeterlinck)
Updated 09 August 2017
Follow

Brussels security alert as driver says carrying explosives

BRUSSELS: Belgian police set up a security cordon in a suburb of Brussels Tuesday after arresting a man who said the car he was driving contained explosive material, prosecutors said.
Around 400 people were being confined inside the cordon in Molenbeek while police inspect the vehicle in question.
The driver ran at least one red light, leading to a police chase that resulted in the vehicle colliding with other cars. Police shot at the car, prosecutors said.
After being stopped, the driver “immediately declared he had explosives in the vehicle,” a spokesman for the Brussels prosecution service told AFP.
Belgium has been on high alert following a double bombing on its metro and airport that killed 32 people and wounded more than 140 in March 2016.
That attack was claimed by the Daesh group, as were the November 2015 attacks in Paris that left 130 people dead.
Several of those responsible for the Paris attacks came from Molenbeek, home to a large Moroccan immigrant community, and had hidden there after the carnage before finally being tracked down by the police.


Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa with relations frayed

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa with relations frayed

JOHANNESBURG: A conservative media critic picked by President Donald Trump to be US ambassador to South Africa has arrived to take up his post, the US embassy said Tuesday, as relations between the countries remain fraught.
Brent Bozell’s arrival has been keenly awaited with ties between South Africa and the United States becoming increasingly strained after Trump returned to office in January 2025.
“I’m confirming that he’s in country,” a US embassy official told AFP. Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa to frayed relations
Trump announced that he had chosen Bozell for the job in March, soon after expelling South Africa’s ambassador on accusations that he was critical of Washington. Pretoria has yet to announce a successor.
Trump said at the time that Bozell “brings fearless tenacity, extraordinary experience, and vast knowledge to a nation that desperately needs it.”
The ambassador-designate still needs to present his credentials to President Cyril Ramaphosa before officially taking up his post.
The embassy and South Africa’s foreign ministry could not say when this would happen.
Bozell, 70, is founder of the Media Research Center, a non-profit that says it works to “expose and counter the leftist bias of the national news media.”
One of the several sticking points between Washington and Pretoria is South Africa’s genocide case against Israel at the International Court of Justice.
Bozell is reported to be a strong defender of Israel. Pretoria expelled Israel’s top diplomat last month, citing a “series of violations.”
The Trump administration boycotted South Africa’s G20 in Johannesburg last year and has not invited the nation to its own hosting of the group of leading economies this year.
The United States is South Africa’s second-biggest trading partner by country after China.
The previous ambassador, Reuben Brigety, resigned in November 2024, just before Trump took office.