Al-Faisaly fans attack Egyptian referee after losing Arab Championship game

Jordan’s Al-Faisaly players clash with Egyptian referee Ibrahim Nour El-Din. (AFP)
Updated 08 August 2017

Al-Faisaly fans attack Egyptian referee after losing Arab Championship game

Chaotic scenes marred the final as Tunisian side Espérance Sportive de Tunis claimed the Arab Championship title late last night with a 3-2 victory over Al-Faisaly of Jordan.

It was an eventful match which saw Al-Faisaly come back from two goals down in Alexandria, before Chamseddine Daoudi’s extra-time winner. The match, however, will likely be remembered as much for what happened after that goal, as the edgy atmosphere turned nasty. 

Believing that Franck Kom had been offside position before he played Daoudi in for the winner, the Al-Faisaly players hounded the Egyptian referee, Ibrahim Nour El-Din, surrounding and pushing him, TV footage shows. The referee let the goal stand, much to the anger of the Jordanian side.

The ugly scenes continued after the final whistle, with Al-Faisaly officials and players continuing their harassment of El-Din, with some trying to hit and headbutt him. 

Even before the shocking scenes, the final had been a lively affair with Espérance taking a two-goal lead early in the second half. Saad Bguir gave the Tunis-based side the advantage with strikes in the 47th and 54th minutes. 

Al-Faisaly, however, had beaten local favourites and Egyptian powerhouses Al Ahly in the semi-finals and showed that spirit to get back into the clash. Akram Zuway got a goal back in the 71st minute and, with only three minutes left, Khalil Baniateyah got the equalizer to send the match into extra-time. 

That set up Daoudi’s winner and the ugly scenes that followed. Surprisingly no red cards were dished out. The Egyptian police reportedly arrested a number of Al-Faisaly fans after the match for violent acts.

It was the 27th edition of the tournament that until last season was called the UAFA (Union of Arab Football Associations) Club Cup, and the second time Esperance have won the title.

‘Loved and appreciated’ Bale starts as Spurs win, Celtic undone by Milan

Updated 23 October 2020

‘Loved and appreciated’ Bale starts as Spurs win, Celtic undone by Milan

PARIS: Gareth Bale said it felt good to be “loved and appreciated” after helping Tottenham to a 3-0 win over LASK of Austria in the Europa League on Thursday.
The Welsh international started his first match since his return from Real Madrid and played for an hour before Jose Mourinho gave him a break.
Bale had come on as a substitute last Sunday with Tottenham 3-0 up against West Ham before his team collapsed to give up a 3-3 draw.
“It is amazing to be back,” Bale told BT Sport on Thursday.
“It is a big reason why I play well and why I came back. You want to be loved and appreciated. I will give everything for this shirt.”
However, he admitted it will take time to find his feet.
“I am a bit stiff. It is like a mini pre-season for me and I am trying to get minutes into the legs,” he said.
Despite Bale starting, it was on-loan Carlos Vinicius who made an impressive debut in the Group J opener.
Vinicius started in place of the resting Harry Kane and he made goals in either half for Lucas Moura and Son Heung-min, while he would have also netted himself had Andres Andrade not scored an own goal.
Bale made that goal where Andrade put through his own net.
Leicester made the perfect start in Group G with a comfortable 3-0 win over Zorya Luhansk of Ukraine.
James Maddison, Harvey Barnes and Kelechi Iheanacho were on the scoresheet.
In Glasgow, Celtic struggled against Serie A leaders AC Milan who were 2-0 up at half-time thanks to goals from Rade Krunic and Brahim Diaz.
Mohamed Elyounoussi reduced the arrears after the break, but Jens Petter Hauge broke clear to secure Milan’s Group H 3-1 win in stoppage time.
Milan were so comfortable that they could afford to take off Zlatan Ibrahimovic just after the hour.
Earlier Thursday, Arsenal came from behind to down Rapid Vienna 2-1 and Rangers beat Standard Liege 2-0.
After a goalless first half Arsenal went behind when keeper Bernd Leno fluffed a clearance on a night he will want to forget.
Taxiarchis Fountas capitalized on Leno’s clanger, much to the joy of the 3,000 home fans allowed in to watch under coronavirus safety protocol, but the Gunners then turned the game around in four second half minutes.
David Luiz put them level with a deft glancing header off Nicolas Pepe’s free-kick, with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang then tapping home to bag the three Group B points.
It was an eventful night for Mikel Arteta’s side.
Alongside eight yellow cards, there was an eye-catching display from Thomas Partey on his first start since his transfer deadline day move from Atletico Madrid.
A frustrated follower of the game from his London sofa was Mesut Ozil, who has been left out of both Arsenal’s Europa League and Premier League squad.
“When I can’t support on the pitch tonight, I will support in front of the TV in London.” tweeted Ozil.
The other Group B game was being played out in Dublin where Dundalk, only Ireland’s third ever representative in the group stage, were beaten 2-1 by Norwegians Molde.
In Belgium, Steven Gerrard’s Rangers took on Standard Liege fresh from their Old Firm derby win over Celtic which moved them four points clear in the Scottish Premiership last weekend.
James Tavernier scored from the spot after Noe Dussenne handled in the area to put them into a 19th minute lead.
Then three minutes into stoppage time Kemar Roofe produced a wonder goal from the halfway line, the ball flying over the head of bewildered keeper Arnaud Bodart.
Benfica had claimed the first goal of the night and they went on to beat Lech Poznan in Poland 4-2 in the other Group D game.
Elsewhere, Bayer Leverkusen ran riot 6-2 against French side Nice and Spanish side Granada, in their first ever European campaign, beat PSV Eindhoven 2-1.