German court orders Syrian Muslim woman to remove veil ‘or face prosecution’

German Chancellor Angela Merkel previously supported a partial ban on the burqa, but stopped short of stopping them from being warn in any public places. (Reuters)
Updated 20 July 2017
Follow

German court orders Syrian Muslim woman to remove veil ‘or face prosecution’

A German judge has ordered a Muslim woman to remove her headscarf while appearing in court, or face prosecution

The unnamed Syrian woman’s lawyer, Najat Abokal, told The Independent the order was made during divorce proceedings, by the judge who said “religiously motivated” clothing was banned.

In a letter the woman was told that she would face legal action if she failed to comply, but it also ordered her to appear in person to present her case against her husband.
Abokal told local press the judge was acting “unconstitutionally,” and added that she would contest the order.

Germany voted for a partial burqa ban in April in certain public sector roles.
But according to The Independent, the ban does not extend to participants in legal proceedings.
Chancellor Angela Merkel backed the ban in December, saying the full face veil was “not acceptable in Germany.”
However German lawmakers have stopped short of a full ban on the burqa in public, with ministers saying that such a ban would violate the country’s constitution.


Ex-Philippine leader Duterte will not attend pre-trial ICC hearing: court

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Ex-Philippine leader Duterte will not attend pre-trial ICC hearing: court

  • Former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte will not be present at his pre-trial hearing at the International Criminal Court over alleged crimes against humanity next week, the court said Friday
THE HAGUE: Former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte will not be present at his pre-trial hearing at the International Criminal Court over alleged crimes against humanity next week, the court said Friday.
“The hearing on the confirmation of charges shall be held in the absence of Mr.Duterte,” the ICC said in a statement, granting a request from Duterte’s defense to waive his right to appear.