Airlines risk fines, losing US access for failure to follow new security rules: official

This file photo taken on Dec. 20, 2016 shows holiday travelers in line to go through the security checkpoint at the Los Angeles International Airport, California. The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced on June 28, 2917, it would implement tough new security rules for all airlines flying into the country, but held off from a threatened expansion of its carry-on laptop ban. (AFP / RINGO CHIU)
Updated 30 June 2017
Follow

Airlines risk fines, losing US access for failure to follow new security rules: official

NEW YORK: Airlines that do not comply with a new US directive for enhanced security measures on inbound international flights could have their certificates to operate flights to the country revoked, a high-ranking US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) official said on Thursday.
The official confirmed that the new security requirements, announced on Wednesday by DHS Secretary John Kelly, will not be funded by the US government, leaving the costs to comply up to the airlines, airports and their countries of origin.
Airlines that do not follow new DHS rules could be fined, face restricted access to US airspace or have their clearance to operate flights to the country withdrawn altogether, the official said.
The new security measures were designed to prevent widening a limited in-cabin ban on laptops and other large electronics. US and European airlines had feared an expansion of the ban could cause major logistical problems and deter travel.
The United States in March banned laptops on flights to the United States originating at 10 airports in eight countries, including Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar and Turkey, to address fears that bombs could be concealed in electronic devices.
The official on Thursday said the new security directive was not in response to a specific threat, but stemmed from the same intelligence cited for the electronics ban.
The new rule gives airlines operating from countries under the electronics ban a chance to have the restriction lifted if they satisfy the DHS requirements, but airlines that fail to meet the US mandate could still face a ban on in-cabin electronics as well as other sanctions.


Serbia, Sweden urge citizens to quit Iran as Trump mulls strike

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Serbia, Sweden urge citizens to quit Iran as Trump mulls strike

  • Sweden’s Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard noted on X her “strong appeal addressed to Swedish citizens who are in Iran to leave”

BELGRADE: Serbia and Sweden have urged their citizens in Iran to leave the country after US President Donald Trump threatened military action over the Islamic republic’s nuclear program.
The Balkan nation had already invited Serbian nationals in mid-January to leave Iran and not to travel there, as the country’s clerical authorities launched a bloody crackdown on a mass protest movement.
“Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period,” the foreign ministry said in a statement on its website published overnight Friday to Saturday.
“All those who are in Iran are recommended to leave the country as soon as possible.”
Separately, Sweden’s Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard noted on X her “strong appeal addressed to Swedish citizens who are in Iran to leave.”
Iran said on Friday that it was hoping for a quick deal with the United States on Tehran’s nuclear program, long a source of discord between the two foes.
But Trump, after ordering a major naval build-up in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran, said on Friday that he was “considering” a limited military strike if the negotiations proved unfruitful.