UAE helps WHO fight cholera in Yemen

Updated 03 June 2017
Follow

UAE helps WHO fight cholera in Yemen

ABU DHABI: The UAE is sending medicines and health-care equipment to Yemen in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO) to help control a cholera epidemic, currently spreading in the country.
Dr. Mohammed Al-Falahi, secretary-general of the Emirates Red Crescent, said the UAE had already sent 100,000 liters of intravenous fluids. This is the entire quantity of intravenous fluid solutions that was available in the UAE market and it was sent in addition to 150,000 packets of oral rehydration salts, the WAM news agency reported.
Al-Falahi said the UAE aid would cover all provinces of Yemen, including those under the control of the Houthi militias. “The UAE has responded quickly to the WHO requirements to contain the outbreak of cholera since its onset in September last year. We have also supplied chlorine for sterilizing the water. Our particular focus has been on pregnant women and children, who are the worst victims of the disease,” he explained.
Al-Falahi pointed out that over 300,000 people have benefited so far from the UAE’s anti-cholera steps in Yemen. “This is in addition to strengthening the relief air bridge aimed at dealing with the scarcity of food.”
The UN envoy for Yemen said on Tuesday that the outbreak in the war-ravaged country has killed over 500 people since the disease re-emerged last month.
Ismael Ould Cheikh Ahmed said at a Security Council briefing that there are 60 thousand suspected cases of cholera in its second outbreak in Yemen in six months.
The envoy said that Yemen’s collapsing medical sector contributed to the rapid outbreak, noting that less than 45 percent of medical facilities are functioning and only half of Yemenis have access to clean water.
The WHO said in its latest update on Monday that the disease continues to spread but at a slower pace, putting the death toll at 471.
A Saudi-led coalition has been battling Shiite Houthi rebels in Yemen since March 2015, in a war that has killed more than 10,000 civilians.

Blast kills 6
A bomb blast at a market in a northern Yemeni town killed six civilians and injured 15 others on Thursday night, security officials said.
Assailants planted an improvised explosive device at a market in Al-Hazm northeast of the capital just as it was packed with shoppers during Ramadan, said the officials.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility and the motive for the attack remained unclear.
Al-Qaeda and Daesh have taken advantage of more than two years of conflict.


Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

  • Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media
  • Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news“

TUNIS: A Tunisian court has sentenced a lawmaker to eight months in prison for criticizing President Kais Saied following recent floods, local media reported.
Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media about Saied’s visits to areas affected by floods, calling him the “supreme commander of sanitation and stormwater drainage.”
Saidani’s lawyer, Houssem Eddine Ben Attia, had told AFP his client was being prosecuted under a telecommunications law against “harming others via social media,” which carries up to two years in prison.
Rights groups have warned of a rollback on freedoms in Tunisia since Saied staged a sweeping power grab in 2021.
Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news.”
Saidani had backed Saied’s power grab and the detention of several opposition figures, but has recently become vocally critical of the president.
At least five people died and others were still missing after Tunisia was hit by its heaviest rainfall in more than 70 years last month.