Wave of ‘fake news’ spreads online after UK terror attack

One Twitter post contained a montage of photos of people, implying they were all missing — but many were not even at the concert in Manchester.
Updated 24 May 2017
Follow

Wave of ‘fake news’ spreads online after UK terror attack

LONDON: The best and worst of social media were on show in the aftermath of the deadly terror attack in Manchester, England on Monday night.
At least 22 people were killed in the attack, with many more missing and dozens injured.
Desperate parents and friends posted heart-wrenching messages and pictures on social media in the search for their loved ones on Tuesday, after the suicide bomb at a concert by US singer Ariana Grande.
In the hours after the blast, picture montages of smiling faces were being circulated of teens still unaccounted for after the concert.
Yet not all of those posting images online were genuine.
One image, by a Twitter user who goes by the name ‘Caroline’, contained a montage of photos of people, implying that they were all missing.
But as fellow users observed, several of the people in the image were not at the concert or indeed on the same continent.
The Mexico-based journalist Andrea Noel, whose image was included in the montage, turned to Twitter to correct the misconception: “Dude, this photo is fake. I’m not missing,” she wrote.
More disturbingly, the montage also included an image of 17-year-old Jayden Parkinson, who was murdered four years ago.
Parkinson’s mother Samantha Shrewsbury tweeted the photo, saying she was not happy that her daughter’s picture had been used.
“My murdered daughter’s picture used she was killed almost 4 years ago not last night,” she wrote.
Shrewsbury told the BBC that her phone has not stopped ringing since the appearance of her daughter’s photo in the collage.
“People keep telling me that Jayden’s picture was being circulated as one of the Manchester attack victims. It is horrible to see her picture being used in this way,” she said. “I feel sorry for the genuine parents of missing children.”
Many other social-media users posted “fake news” items about the Manchester bombings. The true motives are not known, but some speculate that the retweets and exposure gained could be behind it: Caroline’s tweet with the misleading photo montage was retweeted more than 14,000 times.
Another Twitter user shared an image of his “little brother Frank” saying he was missing after the concert. But some who commented on the post said it was taken several years ago, and was of a young boy who modeled for a fashion line for people with Down Syndrome, according to the BBC.
Fake reports also circulated about a man with a gun outside a nearby hospital. But that reportedly originated from a single Facebook post that had been shared more than 13,000 times.
The post reportedly read: “DO NOT COME to Oldham Hospital I’m currently inside… Man outside with GUN.”
Several mainstream media outlets regurgitated the fake news story, but local police and authorities refuted the claims.
Other posts also purported to show Ariana Grande backstage after the explosion — but the image apparently dated to a filmset back in 2015.


Church explosion in upstate New York injures 5 people, including a firefighter

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Church explosion in upstate New York injures 5 people, including a firefighter

  • New York State Police were investigating the cause of the blast
  • Five people were taken to a local hospital for treatment

NEW YORK: A fiery explosion ripped through a church in upstate New York on Tuesday, injuring five people including a firefighter who was badly burned while responded to reports of a gas odor in the building, officials said.
New York State Police were investigating the cause of the blast, which occurred around 10:30 a.m. at the Abundant Life Fellowship Church in a rural area about 50 miles (80 kilometers) northeast of Syracuse.
Five people were taken to a local hospital for treatment. Two were listed in critical condition, including a firefighter who responded to the scene. The remaining three people were being treated for injuries that were not believed to be life-threatening, police said.
Police said there was no initial indication of criminal activity related to the explosion, which sent thick plumes of black smoke into the air and severely damaged the church.
The church was reportedly heated by propane cylinders, according to state troopers.