Venezuela protesters plan nationwide road blocks

Anti-government protesters block a highway in Caracas, Venezuela, Monday, April 24, 2017. (AP)
Updated 24 April 2017
Follow

Venezuela protesters plan nationwide road blocks

CARACAS: Protesters were planning to block Venezuela’s main roads including the capital’s biggest motorway on Monday, triggering fears of further violence after three weeks of unrest left 21 people dead.
The wife of jailed opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez started a vigil on Sunday outside the prison where he is being held, pressing for permission to visit him after he spent a month in isolation.
President Nicolas Maduro said Sunday that he wants “elections now,” referring to elections for governors which were supposed to be held last December, and those for mayors scheduled for this year. A presidential election is scheduled for 2018.
Venezuela has seen near-daily protests since the beginning of April, with opponents of Maduro demanding his ouster.
Maduro has called for local elections in Venezuela, but the government has ruled out voting this year at presidential level as opposition leaders have demanded.
The opposition blames Maduro for the unraveling of the oil giant’s once-booming economy, leaving the country with critical shortages of food, medicine and basic goods.
The spark that set off the near-daily protests was an attempt by the Supreme Court to take over the powers of the opposition-dominated Congress.
Most of the demonstrations have degenerated into riots and clashes with security forces, who dispersed them using tear gas and rubber bullets.
The government and the opposition have accused each other of fomenting the deadly violence that has also seen hundreds of people detained or wounded and businesses looted.
The latest victim, Almelina Carrillo, 47, succumbed to injuries suffered when she was struck in the head by a bottle thrown from a building during the march in Caracas.
Interior Minister Nestor Reverol called her “another victim of the Terrorist Right, which is full of hatred.”
“We will not rest until we capture those responsible for this repugnant crime,” he added.
The opposition has said it will use the momentum to keep taking to the streets demanding elections and pushing for the release of political prisoners.
Thursday marked one of the most violent days in the latest wave of protests, with the Caracas neighborhood of El Valle the scene of shootings, looting and pitched battles between demonstrators and police officers, who forced the evacuation of a maternity ward.
Eleven people died that day alone.
Maduro says he has “evidence” that opposition lawmakers Jose Guerra and Tomas Guanipa were involved in those deadly riots.
The opposition coalition Mesa de la Unidad Democratica (MUD) has denounced “a sequence of political persecution against important leaders,” lawmaker Enrique Marquez was quoted as saying by the El Encimulo news website.
Maduro is pressing the opposition to resume dialogue, frozen since last year after it accused the government of not complying with agreements which include the call for elections.
“I ask Pope Francis from here on out to continue to accompany us in the dialogue, because there is a conspiracy in Rome and here as well against dialogue in Venezuela,” he said.


Mexico and El Salvador make big cocaine seizures at sea as US continues lethal strikes

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Mexico and El Salvador make big cocaine seizures at sea as US continues lethal strikes

MEXICO CITY: The navies of El Salvador and Mexico announced drug seizures in the Pacific Ocean this week of more than 10 tons of cocaine, in contrast to deadly strikes by the US government that just this week left 11 people dead on three boats suspected of carrying drugs in Latin American waters.
The latest announcement came Thursday, when Mexico said it had seized nearly four tons of suspected drugs and detained three people from a semisubmersible craft, 250 nautical miles (463 kilometers) south of the port of Manzanillo.
Mexican Security Secretary Omar García Harfuch said via X that the seizure from the sleek, low-riding boat with three visible motors brought the weekly total to nearly 10 tons, but he did not provide detail on the other seizures.
Mexican authorities said the seizure was made with intelligence shared US Northern Command and the US Joint Interagency Task Force South.
On Sunday, El Salvador’s navy announced the largest drug seizure in the country’s history of 6.6 tons of cocaine. The navy had intercepted a 180-foot boat registered to Tanzania, 380 miles (611 kilometers) southwest of the coast. Navy divers found 330 packages of cocaine hidden in the boat’s ballast tanks. Ten men were arrested from Colombia, Nicaragua, Panama and Ecuador.
On Thursday, Salvadoran authorities gave access to the seized ship FMS Eagle, which had just arrived in the port of La Union. More than 200 wrapped bundles were lined up on the deck.
The Trump administration has pressured Mexico to make more drug seizures over the past year. The trafficking of drugs like fentanyl was the president’s justification for tariffs on Mexican imports.
Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum has responded with a more aggressive stance toward drug cartels than her predecessor, that has included sending dozens of drug trafficking prisoners to the United States for prosecution.
Sheinbaum has also expressed her disagreement with strikes by the US military in the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean against boats suspected of carrying drugs.
At least 145 people have been killed in those strikes since the US government began targeting those it calls “narcoterrorists” last September.
The US strikes this week included two vessels carrying four people each in the eastern Pacific Ocean and another boat in the Caribbean carrying three people. The administration provided images of the boats being destroyed, but not evidence they were carrying drugs.