Students clash with police in Indian Kashmir protests

An Indian government forces throws a stone towards Kashmiri students. (AFP)
Updated 17 April 2017
Follow

Students clash with police in Indian Kashmir protests

SRINAGAR, INDIA: Students clashed with government forces in Indian Kashmir on Monday as they protested a police raid on a college, in the latest outbreak of violence to hit the restive disputed territory.
Police fired tear gas and dozens of students were injured in the protests, which broke out in the main city of Srinagar before spreading to other parts of the Kashmir valley.
The students were apparently angered by a police raid on a college in southern Pulwama district on Saturday in which at least 60 students were injured.
“Students are protesting in a few colleges. We are dealing with a situation,” a senior police office told AFP on condition of anonymity.
Indian-administered Kashmir has been tense since April 9, when eight people were killed by police and paramilitary troops during election day clashes.
Four people were killed over the weekend, including a street vendor shot dead by India’s Border Security Force.
Three more — one of them a former counter-insurgent leader — were killed by suspected rebels.
Footage apparently showing a civilian tied to the front of an army jeep to deter protesters from throwing stones at the vehicle has also caused outrage after it was circulated on social media last week.
The Kashmir University Students Union, a banned student body, had called for protests in all colleges and universities following Saturday’s incident.
Students in Pulwama alleged on Saturday that police and paramilitary troops raided the college to try to arrest students involved in anti-India protests in the area.
In a statement Saturday, the union said the police action was designed to help the state “rule by repression and fear.”
Kashmir has been divided between India and Pakistan since the end of British rule in 1947. Both claim the territory in its entirety.
Armed encounters between rebels fighting Indian rule and government forces have become more frequent since the killing of a popular rebel leader by security forces last July sparked widespread unrest.
Police and army officials say dozens of local youths have joined the rebel ranks since then.


Hungary says will block EU’s latest package of sanctions on Russia

Updated 33 sec ago
Follow

Hungary says will block EU’s latest package of sanctions on Russia

  • Ukraine says the Druzhba pipeline that crosses its territory to deliver Russian oil to Slovakia and Hungary was damaged January 27 by Russian strikes
BUDAPEST: Hungary will block the European Union’s latest package of sanctions against Russia unless Ukraine re-opens a key oil pipeline that supplies the country, Hungary’s prime minister and foreign minister both said Sunday.
“No support for sanctions; the 20th sanctions package will be rejected,” Prime Minister Viktor Orban posted on X.
“Until Ukraine resumes oil transit to Hungary and Slovakia via the Druzhba pipeline, we will not allow decisions important to Kyiv to move forward,” Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto posted, also on X.
“If Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky tells us to buy oil anywhere other than Russia even if it costs us a lot of money, we have the right to respond,” he stressed.
Ukraine says the Druzhba pipeline that crosses its territory to deliver Russian oil to Slovakia and Hungary was damaged January 27 by Russian strikes.
The European Union in early February proposed new sanctions against Russia, targeting the banking and energy sectors, its 20th package since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022.
The European Commission also intends to activate its anti-coercion tool, for the first time, to ban the export of all machine tools and radio equipment to countries where there is a high risk that these products will be re-exported to Russia.
All the EU’s 27 member states must give their approval before the new sanctions can take effect.
Slovakia’s Prime Minister Robert Fico said Sunday evening he would follow through on his threats to cut emergency electricity supplies to Ukraine if Kyiv does not re-open the pipeline.
On Monday, “I will request that emergency electricity deliveries to Ukraine be stopped,” he warned on Facebook.
“If Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky tells us to buy oil anywhere other than Russia even if it costs us a lot of money, we have the right to respond,” he stressed.