Turkey jails Syrian pilot who crashed near border: report

A Syrian army jet firing rockets over the village of Rahbet Khattab in the Hama province. (AFP)
Updated 07 April 2017
Follow

Turkey jails Syrian pilot who crashed near border: report

ANKARA: A Turkish court on Friday placed under arrest a Syrian military pilot whose aircraft crashed in Turkey near the border with Syria last month, state media reported.
The 56-year-old Syrian colonel managed to jump out of the aircraft after pulling his parachute as the plane was going down above the Hatay province in southern Turkey.
The colonel — who was flying alone when the plane crashed — is charged with “spying” and “violation of the Turkish Republic’s border security,” state-run news agency Anadolu said.
The Syrian rebel group Ahrar Al-Sham said at the time it shot down the regime plane which had been flying over Idlib province in northwestern Syria and carrying out air strikes.
Immediately after the group’s claim, a Syrian military source quoted by state television said the plane was on a reconnaissance mission near the Turkish border.
The pilot was discharged from hospital after treatment and ordered by a local court to be remanded in custody ahead of trial.
The arrest comes after US President Donald Trump launched a strike in Syria in retaliation for a “barbaric” chemical attack he blamed on Syrian President Bashar Assad.
The Turkish health ministry said on Thursday that initial findings pointed to the use of sarin nerve agent in the attack on the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhun in Idlib which killed dozens and left hundreds more injured.


Morocco flood evacuees mark muted Ramadan away from home

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Morocco flood evacuees mark muted Ramadan away from home

  • When floods forced Ahmed El Habachi out of his Moroccan village, he thought the displacement was temporary. Weeks later, he broke his Ramadan fast in a tent, wondering when he would return home
KENITRA, Morocco: When floods forced Ahmed El Habachi out of his Moroccan village, he thought the displacement was temporary. Weeks later, he broke his Ramadan fast in a tent, wondering when he would return home.
During the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, families traditionally gather over joyous feasts to break the daytime fast.
But the floods that battered northwestern Morocco in recent weeks have left evacuees like Habachi with little to celebrate.
“We prepare Iftar with whatever we can lay our hands on,” the 37-year-old told AFP, referring to the fast-breaking meal.
“After all, it’s not like we’re home,” he said, standing outside his blue tent marked “B190” in a makeshift camp set up by authorities near the city of Kenitra.
Just before sunset, women gathered around small stoves. They made do with no running water, and soon the smell of grilled fish wafted through the site.
The families then retreated to their tents for Iftar, with candles providing light for lack of electricity.
The heavy downpours have displaced over 180,000 people as of last week, authorities said, with at least four people killed.
- ‘Two or three months’ -
Most evacuees in the region have been allowed to return home, but that was not yet an option for Habachi and his children.
“Where would we sleep? There’s still mud up to the knees,” he said, showing cell phone videos of his home in Ouled Amer, some 35 kilometers (22 miles) away.
He said flooding from a nearby river swept away half of the walls of his house.
“We’ll need two or three months to get back to normal,” he added.
The camp managers serve each family water and a bag of rice per day.
Fatima Laaouj, 60, said this year’s Ramadan was “nothing like what we were used to.”
“We lack everything: bread, harira (traditional soup), milk... How can we buy anything when we have no money?” said Laaouj, who picks raspberries for a living.
“We don’t have work anymore. The farmland is all destroyed,” she added.
Not far from the camp, in the town of Mograne which was swamped by the neighboring Sebou River, villagers still waded through deep mud.
Several homes showed signs of flooding, with walls torn open and floors soaked.
Families had left their belongings stored on top of wardrobes out of fear the water could rise again.
- ‘Usually, there’s joy’ -
After two weeks at the camp, 42-year-old Yamna Chtata returned to find her home turned into a pool of mud, with walls threatening to collapse.
Her voice choked with sobs, she said she was forced to observe Ramadan out of her own home for the first time in the two decades she has lived there.
“We are not celebrating... I have two daughters who are unwell because of the severity of the situation,” she said.
Mansour Amrani, a 59-year-old factory security guard, was on his way to the local mosque to fetch drinking water.
That day, he planned to make couscous for his wife and three daughters to break the fast.
“Usually, there’s joy when we make couscous,” he said. “Today, it’s no longer the case. We’re afraid the house will collapse on our heads.”
Abdelmajid Lekihel, a 49-year-old street vendor, believed it would take time for things to return to normal.
“Food products are no longer available like before,” he said, adding that shortages at the local market made preparing the traditional Ramadan meals difficult.
Plus, lingering mud “prevents us from going to see a neighbor, a family member, a friend,” he said.
“We’re living one day at a time.”