RIYADH: A Saudi preacher with more than 2 million Twitter followers has been banned from tweeting by a court that convicted him of jeopardizing public order.
The cleric, previously accused of links to the banned Muslim Brotherhood, was also fined SR100,000 ($27,000), Okaz newspaper reported Thursday.
It did not name the “famous preacher,” but Awad Al-Qarni confirmed the verdict on his @awadalqarni Twitter account late Thursday.
“I am prevented from writing” on the account, he tweeted, before issuing a Twitter message early Friday thanking his followers.
Okaz said Riyadh’s Specialized Criminal Court, which handles “terrorism” cases, on Thursday convicted the preacher of spreading content on Twitter that “could jeopardize public order and provoke public opinion.”
It said the content “could affect the relationship of the people with the leadership, and the relationship of Saudi Arabia with other countries.” Okaz said the preacher was tried without having been arrested.
Al-Qarni has often been criticized in the local press and on social media for his radical views about scholars who disagree with his interpretation of religion.
Okaz previously reported that he once claimed to be so influential that Israel’s intelligence agency Mossad placed a bounty on his head and plotted to kill him.
The unsubstantiated claim led to columnists and social media users harshly ridiculing him.
In 2010, Al-Qarni was charged in absentia by an Egyptian court with funding the Muslim Brotherhood.
— with input from AFP
Popular Saudi preacher fined, banned from Twitter
Popular Saudi preacher fined, banned from Twitter
Over 17,000 inspections conducted in Madinah ahead of Ramadan
- Ongoing operational plan involves more than 5,700 personnel, supported by over 1,230 pieces of equipment and machinery
- Work is focusing on health and commercial inspection tours - raising compliance levels with regulatory requirements
RIYADH: The Ministry of Municipalities and Housing, represented by the Madinah Regional Municipality, has intensified field and operational preparations to improve service readiness and ensure uninterrupted services for visitors to the holy city during Ramadan, which began Wednesday.
The ongoing operational plan involves more than 5,700 personnel, supported by over 1,230 pieces of equipment and machinery, reflecting the scale of the preparations and the municipality’s capacity to manage the expected crowds and increased activity.
The work is focusing on health and commercial inspection tours, raising compliance levels with regulatory requirements, and boosting oversight of activities related to public health and food safety to ensure a safe and healthy environment, reported the Saudi Press Agency.
The ministry has conducted more than 13,000 inspections targeting health-related activities and nearly 4,000 covering commercial activities.
In addition, 8,000 food and water samples are being collected to verify compliance with approved health standards, as part of an integrated inspection system based on precise performance indicators.
The ministry has enhanced the readiness of emergency teams by implementing 12 alternative plans to ensure rapid response to emergencies and the continued efficient delivery of municipal services during peak times through its executive arm, Madinah Municipality.









