Damascus bleeds anew: Twin suicide blasts leave dozens dead as Syria war enters 7th year

Smoke billows following airstrikes by Syrian regime forces on Damascus’ Al-Qaboun suburb. (AFP)
Updated 16 March 2017
Follow

Damascus bleeds anew: Twin suicide blasts leave dozens dead as Syria war enters 7th year

DAMASCUS: Two suicide bombings hit the Syrian capital Damascus on Wednesday, including an attack at a central courthouse that killed at least 32 people, as the war entered its seventh year.
In northern Syria, 14 children were among 21 people killed in an airstrike on Idlib city, a monitor said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blasts, the second wave of deadly attacks in the capital in less than a week, after twin bombings Saturday that killed 74 people. 
Wednesday’s first attack saw a suicide bomber rush inside the building and blow himself up when police tried to prevent him from entering the courthouse in the center of Damascus, state media reported. A police source told AFP that 32 people were killed and 100 wounded. “I heard a commotion and looked to my left and I saw a man in a military vest,” a man with a bandage over his eye told state television after the attack.
“He had his hands up and screamed ‘God is greatest’ and then the blast happened,” he added.
State television broadcast images from inside the courthouse, showing blood splattered across the ceiling and smeared across the marble floor of the lobby, with a portrait of President Bashar Assad still intact and hanging above.
The second blast hit a restaurant in the city’s western Rabweh district less than two hours later, and injured 25 people, the police source said. State media said the bomber had ducked into the restaurant after being chased by security services. In the wake of the attacks, AFP correspondents in the city said the streets were deserted, with some roads blocked off by security services.
The bloodshed also continued elsewhere in the country, with 21 people including 14 children killed in an airstrike in Idlib city in northwestern Syria, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Meanwhile, Syrian opposition representatives and officials from Kazakhstan’s government offered conflicting information as to whether armed opposition groups would end their boycott and attend talks with the Syrian regime in the Kazakh capital, Astana.
Russia’s Interfax news agency quoted Kazakh Foreign Ministry spokesman Onuar Zhainakov as saying that the talks had been extended and some opposition groups had agreed to take part.
“We expect the arrival of representatives from the northern and southern fronts of the armed Syrian opposition,” Zhainakov said, according to the Interfax report.
However, two opposition officials immediately dismissed the report. Mamoun Haj Mousa, from the Suqour Al-Sham Brigade, said there are no plans for factions to attend the talks and another opposition official, Yahya Al-Aridi, simply stated: “Let them say what they wish.:

 


Hamas official says group in final stage of choosing new chief

Updated 1 sec ago
Follow

Hamas official says group in final stage of choosing new chief

CAIRO: A senior Hamas official told AFP on Sunday that the Palestinian movement was in the final phase of selecting a new leader, with two prominent figures competing for the position.
Hamas recently completed the formation of a new Shoura Council, a consultative body largely composed of religious scholars, as well as a new political bureau.
Members of the council are elected every four years by representatives from Hamas’s three branches: the Gaza Strip, the occupied West Bank and the movement’s external leadership.
Hamas prisoners in Israeli jails are also eligible to vote.
The council subsequently elects the political bureau, which in turn selects the head of the movement.
“The movement has completed its internal elections in the three regions and has reached the final stage of selecting the head of the political bureau,” the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak publicly.
He added that the race for the group’s leadership is now between Khaled Meshaal and Khalil Al-Hayya.
A second Hamas source confirmed the development within the organization, which fought a devastating war with Israel following its October 7, 2023 attack.
Hayya, 65, a Gaza native and Hamas’s chief negotiator in ceasefire talks, has held senior roles since at least 2006, according to the US-based NGO the Counter Extremism Project (CEP).
Meshaal, who led the political bureau from 2004 to 2017, has never lived in Gaza. He was born in the West Bank in 1956.
He joined Hamas in Kuwait and later lived in Jordan, Syria and Qatar. The CEP says he oversaw Hamas’s evolution into a political-military hybrid.
He currently heads the movement’s diaspora office.
Last month, a Hamas source told AFP that Hayya enjoys backing from the group’s armed wing, the Ezzedine Al-Qassem Brigades.
After Israel killed former Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh in Tehran in July 2024, the group chose its then-Gaza chief Yahya Sinwar as his successor.
Israel accused Sinwar of masterminding the October 7 attack.
He too was killed by Israeli forces in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, three months after Haniyeh’s assassination.
Hamas then opted for an interim five-member leadership committee based in Qatar, postponing the appointment of a single leader until elections, given the risk of the new chief being targeted by Israel.