Stadium heavily guarded as Pakistan hosts cricket final

A Pakistani paramilitary soldier stands alert on a vehicle while monitoring the area to ensure security at an entry gate of Qaddafi stadium for the final match of the Pakistan Super League, in Lahore, on Saturday. (AP)
Updated 04 March 2017
Follow

Stadium heavily guarded as Pakistan hosts cricket final

LAHORE, Pakistan: Lahore prepared to host the Pakistan Super League (PSL) cricket final on Sunday as Qaddafi Stadium turned into a fortress amid security fears.
The Punjab provincial government gave the go-ahead to the domestic Twenty20 match between Peshawar Zalmi and Quetta Gladiators.
Doubts were raised over the eastern city of Lahore hosting the final when a wave of new attacks hit Pakistan last month. At least 13 people were killed in Lahore when a suicide bomber targeted police escorting a rally by pharmacists.
But the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) hopes the final will be an opportunity to show it is safe to resume international cricket in the country.
Cricket-mad fans have welcomed the final being staged in Pakistan after all its league matches were organized in the UAE, where Pakistan’s national team also plays its home matches.
“It’s a super decision of PCB, I haven’t got the ticket for the final but even then I will cheer ... and watch the match on television at home,” said 18-year-old student Afaq Elahi.
The provincial government promised to provide more than 8,000 security personnel in and around the sports complex where Qaddafi Stadium is located and the teams’ route to the stadium.
Armed police and soldiers guarded the stadium on Saturday, which was off limits to even the media.
Pakistan has been a no-go zone for all major Test-playing nations for the last eight years since gunmen killed seven policemen in an attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in Lahore in 2009. Several players were injured.
Spectators will have to walk through at least three checkpoints before entering the stadium on Sunday. A temporary hospital of 25 beds was also established at a nearby hockey stadium in case of emergency.
The two finalist franchises have convinced foreign players, including West Indian Darren Sammy and Marlon Samuels, to travel to Pakistan.
Both West Indians were expected to fly in from Dubai late Saturday night along with England’s Chris Jordan and Dawid Malan as Peshawar’s four overseas players.
Last year’s finalist Quetta brought in five new foreign players — Morne van Wyk of South Africa, Anamul Haque of Bangladesh, Elton Chigumbura and Sean Ervine of Zimbabwe, and Rayad Emrit of the West Indies — after four key players declined to travel to Pakistan due to security fears.
Coach Moin Khan said that his team was still “hopeful” of winning the title despite the withdrawal of England’s Kevin Pietersen, Luke Wright and Tymal Mills along with South African Rilee Rossouw after Quetta qualified for the final by beating Peshawar Zalmi in the first playoff. Their overseas players are expected to arrive in Lahore.
At least three former Test cricketers — including Imran Khan and Javed Miandad — have criticized the PCB’s decision to bring the PSL final to Lahore.
Imran called it “madness” and warned that any incident could delay the return to Pakistan of international cricket for another 10 years.
Away from security concerns, Peshawar has lost its star attraction Shahid Afridi for the final. The flamboyant all-rounder injured his right hand while fielding during the knockout match against Karachi Kings in Dubai.


Gabon suspends access to social media as critics accuse its leader of crackdown on dissent

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Gabon suspends access to social media as critics accuse its leader of crackdown on dissent

  • “The High Authority for Communication has decided to immediately suspend social media throughout Gabon until further notice,” Mendome said
  • Social media platforms were severely impacted on Wednesday

LIBREVILLE: Gabon has suspended access to social media and digital platforms throughout the central African nation until further notice, the authorities said as critics accuse the country’s leader of crackdown on dissent.
The communications agency said it had observed on social media and digital platforms what it described as inappropriate, defamatory, hateful and insulting content that undermines human dignity, the country’s institutions and national security.
The agency’s statement added that this constitutes offenses punishable under national and international laws, as well as under policies on moderation adopted by major digital platforms.
“The High Authority for Communication has decided to immediately suspend social media throughout Gabon until further notice,” Jean Claude Franck Mendome, the spokesperson for the agency, known as High Authority for Communication, said in a statement that was read out on national media on Tuesday evening.
Social media platforms — including Meta and TikTok — were severely impacted on Wednesday. The two, along with WhatsApp, the messaging service owned by Meta, are the most widely used by Gabonese citizens. WhatsApp calls were also experiencing significant disruptions on Wednesday.
The country’s leader, Gen. Brice Clotaire Oligui Nguema had toppled President Ali Bongo Ondimba, who was accused of irresponsible governance.
Last year, Oligui Nguema won the presidential election, raising hopes for a return to constitutional democracy. However, critics say he has been increasingly clamping down on critical voices, targeting independent media and trade unionists. A journalist and two trade unionists were imprisoned last year.