NBA star Stephen Curry opposes Under Armor chief’s Trump comment

Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry.
Updated 10 February 2017
Follow

NBA star Stephen Curry opposes Under Armor chief’s Trump comment

NEW YORK: National Basketball Association star Stephen Curry joined a number of other athletes to speak up against President Donald Trump, opposing a comment made by Under Armor Chief Executive Kevin Plank that the president is “a real asset” to the country.
On Tuesday, Plank expressed support for Trump on CNBC, saying: “To have such a pro-business president is something that is a real asset for the country.”
In an interview with The San Jose Mercury News on Wednesday, Curry, one of Under Armor’s most-visible athletes, said, “I agree with that description (of asset made by Plank), if you remove the ‘et.’“
A number of NBA players including Cleveland Cavaliers superstar Lebron James, who is endorsed by Nike Inc, have recently expressed concerns over Trump’s policies. But Curry is the first player to directly oppose comments made by their sponsor.
Plank’s comments immediately drew backlash on social media with many using hashtags #boycottUnderArmor and #Grabyourwallet to spread a campaign against pro-Trump companies.
Under Armor has since released a statement saying Plank’s comments were in regard to Trump’s business policies, not his social viewpoints.
“We believe in advocating for fair trade, an inclusive immigration policy that welcomes the best and the brightest and those seeking opportunity in the great tradition of our country, and tax reform that drives hiring to help create new jobs globally, across America and in Baltimore.” Under Armor is based in Baltimore.
Under Armor was not immediately available for comment on Thursday.
Curry, who has a multi-million dollar contract that includes an equity stake in Under Armor that runs through 2024, said in the interview that Plank working with Trump is not a deal-breaker, but he is more concerned about Under Armor adopting Trump’s values.
Curry endorsed Hillary Clinton, Trump’s Democract opponent, in the Nov. 8 election.
Shares of Under Armor rose 3.7 percent to $21.86 on Thursday.


Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

  • Football media company’s venture caters for its Arabic video-first brands
  • Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums

RIYADH: Football media and culture company Footballco have opened a new production studio in Riyadh.

The move allows it to boost the volume of in-studio content created for its leading Arabic video-first football brands — Yalla Goal, Yalla Fans and Yalla Girl, as well as branded content for commercial partners.

The new studio complements Footballco’s Riyadh office, which opened in December 2024 as its Middle East headquarters. Footballco’s move to the city was driven by a desire to better serve clients in Saudi Arabia and to bring it closer to the country’s burgeoning football industry. The company now has 20 full-time staff in the Kingdom.

Footballco currently operates three video-first Arabic-language football brands in the region, all targeting Gen-Z and Gen-Alpha fans and fronted by experienced content creators. Yalla Goal combines spirited discussions, bold challenges and fun games, while Yalla Girl celebrates the growth of women’s football in Saudi Arabia and the region, with a focus on talent, personality, laughter and friendship. Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums. 

The company’s decision to invest in creator-led, in-studio video formats is backed by its own research which found that, for young fans, brand partnerships with creators are seen as more valuable than official tournament partnerships.

Footballco’s new studio will increase the frequency of video content created for its channels, supported by two full-time hosts for Yalla Goal — Mohammed Bargat and Waleed Al-Shargi (better known as Shargi), who have a combined following of over 900,000 on their personal channels.

Andy Jackson, Footballco’s Middle East senior vice president, said: “With seven national teams from the region set to appear at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, eight if Iraq qualify through the play-offs, these new facilities and increasing video output sets our brands up for success at a time where we know there will be an unprecedented demand for fun, creator-led video content.

“We’re also excited to welcome both Bargat and Shargi to the team, with both having more than proved themselves as understanding how to create content that resonates with young fans and they are already familiar to our audiences.”

He added: “In December, our Arabic social channels generated over 1.7 billion video views, so we are building from an incredibly strong base to further cement our position as the clear market leader both in Saudi Arabia and the wider region. Our creator-led video formats have proved incredibly popular with brands, and this investment will see us able to offer a broader range of opportunities to our many commercial partners.”

While the World Cup this summer will see Footballco’s new studio in constant use, the company is also readying a slate of programming across Ramadan, with a 30-show spread culminating in an Eid special.

Taha Imani, Footballco’s head of video and social in the Middle East and North Africa region, said: “With YouTube becoming the number one place for fans to enjoy longform and short-form football content, and based on success across Footballco brands such as The Front Three in other markets, we’re expecting to grow at speed as we approach the World Cup giving fans exactly what they want from us on a daily basis.”