30 die as ‘Russian jets hit Idlib’

Civil defense personnel and civilians search for survivors following an airstrike in the Syrian northwestern city of Idlib. (AFP)
Updated 08 February 2017
Follow

30 die as ‘Russian jets hit Idlib’

AMMAN: At least 30 people died in airstrikes on the opposition-held Syrian city of Idlib on Tuesday, in some of the heaviest raids there in months, witnesses and rescue workers said.
Around eight attacks by what witnesses believed to be Russian jets wounded scores of people and leveled several multi-story buildings in residential areas of the northwestern city, they added.
Russia’s Defense Ministry later said media reports that its planes had bombed Idlib were not true, Interfax news agency reported.
Two rescue workers said the death toll was at least 30. The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 26 people were killed and casualties were expected to rise as rescue workers searched for bodies under the rubble.
Video footage by activists on social media showed civilians, including young children, being treated in the main city hospital where the injured had been rushed for treatment.
“We are still pulling bodies from the rubble,” said Issam Al-Idlibi, a volunteer civil defense worker.
The extent of the damage and the debris bore the hallmarks of a Russian attack, two witnesses said.
Russian planes have targeted a number of towns and villages in the area since entering the Syrian conflict in September 2015 to back ally President Bashar Assad.
But activists and residents also said there had been a reduction of Russian strikes in Idlib province since a Turkish-Russian brokered a cessation of hostilities late December.
Planes from the US-led coalition have also launched a number of attacks in the rural province, a major stronghold of radicals, many of them formerly affiliated to Al-Qaeda.
Idlib’s population has been swollen by thousands of Syrian fighters and their families evacuated from villages and towns around Damascus and Aleppo city, which was retaken by the government in recent months.
Separately, at least four people were killed in airstrikes by unknown jets in the town of Arbin in opposition-held Eastern Ghouta, northeast of the capital. The regime army and pro-regime militias have been seeking in recent days to gain new ground there.
Meanwhile, Assad said US President Donald Trump prioritizing the fight against Daesh was promising although it was too early to expect any practical steps, state news agency SANA reported on Tuesday.
The Kremlin said Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin discussed setting up “genuine coordination” in the fight against Daesh and “other terrorist groups” in Syria during a phone call last month.
Assad was quoted by SANA as telling a group of Belgian reporters that Trump’s position was promising. “I believe this is promising but we have to wait and it’s too early to expect anything practical,” he said.
Assad was also quoted as saying that US-Russian cooperation in stepping up the fight against the militants would have positive repercussions.
Trump has previously indicated he might cut US support for Syrian opposition fighters that have been fighting Assad, and that he could cooperate with Russia in the fight against Daesh in Syria.
Trump has made defeating Daesh a core goal of his presidency and signed an executive order asking the Pentagon, the joint chiefs of staff and other agencies to submit a preliminary plan on how to proceed within 30 days.
Assad also said that the European Union should have no role in the reconstruction of Syria unless it changes its policy toward the Mideast country.
Assad said EU countries back opposition fighters who inflicted destruction on Syria and “they cannot destroy and build at the same time.”
UN official Abdullah Al Dardari said in Beirut last month that reconstruction will cost around $350 billion.


UN’s development chief says living conditions in Gaza are worst he has ever seen

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

UN’s development chief says living conditions in Gaza are worst he has ever seen

  • Alexander De Croo urges Israeli authorities to allow more access for removal of debris, provision of temporary housing, and efforts to restart the private sector
  • 90 percent of territory’s population living amid rubble in ‘extremely painful’ and dangerous circumstances, he says after 3-day visit to Gaza

NEW YORK CITY: The head of the UN Development Programme said on Tuesday that living conditions in Gaza are the worst he has witnessed in his career, as he urged Israeli authorities to grant more access for the removal of debris, the provision of temporary housing, and private-sector recovery efforts.
Speaking in East Jerusalem after a three-day visit to Gaza, Alexander De Croo said 90 percent of the territory’s population was living amid rubble in “extremely painful” and dangerous circumstances.
“I have been minister of development for six years in the past; this is the worst living conditions that I have ever seen,” he said.
Teams from his agency are focusing their recovery efforts in Gaza on three main areas, he explained: the removal of rubble and other solid waste, temporary housing, and restarting parts of the private sector.
UNDP has removed about 5 percent of the rubble from the war-ravaged enclave so far, De Croo said, but at the current pace clearing it all will take seven years.
“90 percent of the people of Gaza today live in the middle of that rubble, which is extremely dangerous,” he warned, adding that unexploded ordnance and other health risks pose additional ongoing dangers to residents.
Regarding housing, he said most people were living in what he described as very rudimentary tents. UNDP has built 500 “recovery housing” units and has a further 4,000 ready to go, but he estimated that between 100,000 and 203,000 units were needed to provide even the most basic improvements to shelter.
“This is definitely not reconstruction,” he said. “But it’s an improvement on what is available for the moment.”
His agency’s third area of focus is restoration of the private sector, which he said has been “in hibernation.” It aims to help businesses resume operations and provide income for residents through limited investments and cash-for-work programs, including the processing of food.
The main request his agency is making to Israeli authorities is greater access for the delivery of materials and equipment, De Croo said, including heavy machinery for the removal of debris, and components for temporary housing.
“We understand the security concerns of the Israeli authorities,” he said. “But that would not be a reason to not provide organizations such as UNDP, other UN organizations and international (nongovernmental organizations) the more access that is definitely needed to be able to help more people.”
Asked about Israel’s objections to the deployment of large bulldozers and the provision of additional housing units, De Croo said discussions with Israeli officials often centered on “dual-use” concerns over materials that could potentially have military as well as civilian applications.
“We are in continuous discussions with the Israeli authorities on what are the right conditions to have more access,” he said, adding that UNDP takes steps to ensure all materials are used solely for humanitarian purposes.
He reiterated his call for expanded access to enable support for humanitarian and recovery efforts, and said such assistance is an obligation on every state.
“We really have only one ask: Please provide organizations such as UNDP and the others the necessary access to be able to provide the humanitarian and recovery support,” he added.