TRIPOLI: One of three deputy premiers in Libya’s UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA) resigned on Monday, saying he had failed in his mission.
Moussa Al-Kouni told a press conference in the capital of the chaos-ridden North African country that he could no longer stay in the post.
“I’m resigning because I have failed,” said a visibly moved Al-Kouni, who is originally from southern Libya and represents the Tuareg minority in the GNA.
“We (in the GNA) are responsible because we accepted this mission.
“We take responsibility for everything that has happened in the past year: Dramas, violence, murder, rape, invasion, the squandering of public funds... Regardless of the extent of the crimes, we are responsible,” he said.
Libya has been mired in chaos since the 2011 downfall of longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi.
In March last year, the internationally backed GNA was formed, intended to replace two rival administrations, one in Tripoli and one in the country’s far east.
It is also the centerpiece of Western hopes to stem an upsurge of radicalism in Libya and halt people trafficking across the Mediterranean that has led to thousands of drownings.
Libya deputy PM quits, saying he has ‘failed’
Libya deputy PM quits, saying he has ‘failed’
Some US troops departing Syria, official says
- The Wall Street Journal reported the US was withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria
DAMASCUS: Some US troops are leaving Syria as part of a “deliberate and conditions-based transition,” a senior US official said on Wednesday.
The Wall Street Journal reported the US was withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria.
“US forces remain poised to respond to any ISIS threats that arise in the region as we support partner-led efforts to prevent the terrorist network’s resurgence,” the senior administration official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said.
“However US presence at scale is no longer required in Syria given the Syrian government’s willingness to take primary responsibility for combating the terrorist threat within its borders,” the official added.
Last week, the US military said it completed a withdrawal from a strategic base in Syria, handing it over to Syrian forces, in the latest sign of strengthening US-Syrian ties that could enable an even larger American drawdown.
The Wall Street Journal reported the US was withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria.
“US forces remain poised to respond to any ISIS threats that arise in the region as we support partner-led efforts to prevent the terrorist network’s resurgence,” the senior administration official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said.
“However US presence at scale is no longer required in Syria given the Syrian government’s willingness to take primary responsibility for combating the terrorist threat within its borders,” the official added.
Last week, the US military said it completed a withdrawal from a strategic base in Syria, handing it over to Syrian forces, in the latest sign of strengthening US-Syrian ties that could enable an even larger American drawdown.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.









