Al-Shabab threatens to eliminate Somali MPs ‘one by one’

Updated 25 September 2012
Follow

Al-Shabab threatens to eliminate Somali MPs ‘one by one’

NAIROBI: Somalia’s Al-Qaeda linked Al-Shabab threatened yesterday to kill Somalia’s all the new lawmakers, saying that an MP killed at the weekend in Mogadishu was just the first to be targeted.
“The successful elimination of Mustafa Haji Mohamed was the action of the mujahideen who are committed to killing all MPs,” according to a Al-Shabab official, who said, the group would kill all other lawmakers “one-by-one”.
“The remaining 274 MPs are on the waiting list to die if they don’t abandon the criminal organisation that was set up contrary to Islamic law,” the official said, referring to the new Parliament selected in August.
Parliament’s election this month of Hassan Sheikh Mohamud as president and the end of Somalia’s transitional institutions in August had sparked hopes of a new beginning for the country after two decades of war. Some analysts had hoped that Hassan might succeed in bringing the hardline Islamist Al-Shabab rebel group, which considered his predecessor Sharif Sheikh Ahmed a traitor, to the negotiating table.
But the new president survived an assassination bid on Sept. 12, just two days after he was elected, when apparent suicide bomb attacks claimed by the Al-Shabab rebels rocked a Mogadishu hotel, killing three soldiers.
Mustafa Haji, the father-in-law of former president Sharif, was gunned down on Saturday after leaving a mosque in Mogadishu, the first lawmaker to be targeted since the new assembly came into being.
After more than two decades of anarchy and war, Mogadishu has been coming back to life since the Al-Shabab left frontline fighting positions, with a boom in building and business.
Al-Al-Shabab has been fighting the Somali government for nearly five years. Africa Union forces pushed al-Shabab out of Mogadishu in Aug. 2011 but the militants have continued to carry out suicide attacks in the capital. Government figures in Somalia are frequently targeted for death.
Last Thursday, Al-Shabab supporters launched a double suicide attack on an upmarket restaurant in the capital opened by Somalis from the diaspora, killing 18 people, including three journalists.
Another journalist, Hassan Yusuf Absuge of independent Radio Maanta, was gunned down in the Somali capital a day later. No group has yet claimed responsibility for his murder.
Press rights watchdog Reporters Without Borders has called 2012 the deadliest year on record for Somali journalists with 13 dead so far, surpassing 2009 when nine died.
Meanwhile, the U.N.’s representative to Somalia, Augustine Mahiga, on Sunday condemned the killing of the Somali member of parliament, and called it a cowardly attack.

 


Brazil’s Lula urges Trump to treat all countries equally

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Brazil’s Lula urges Trump to treat all countries equally

NEW DELHI: Brazil’s President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva urged Donald Trump on Sunday to treat all countries equally after the US leader imposed a 15 percent tariff on imports following an adverse Supreme Court ruling.
“I want to tell the US President Donald Trump that we don’t want a new Cold War. We don’t want interference in any other country, we want all countries to be treated equally,” Lula told reporters in New Delhi.
The conservative-majority Supreme Court ruled six to three on Friday that a 1977 law Trump has relied on to slap sudden levies on individual countries, upending global trade, “does not authorize the President to impose tariffs.”
Lula said he would not like to react to the Supreme Court decisions of another country, but hoped that Brazil’s relations with the United States “will go back to normalcy” soon.
The veteran leftist leader is expected to travel to Washington next month for a meeting with Trump.
“I am convinced that Brazil-US relation will go back to normalcy after our conversation,” Lula, 80, said, adding that Brazil only wanted to “live in peace, generate jobs, and improve the lives of our people.”
Lula and Trump, 79, stand on polar opposite sides when it comes to issues such as multilateralism, international trade and the fight against climate change.
However, ties between Brazil and the United States appear to be on the mend after months of animosity between Washington and Brasilia.
As a result, Trump’s administration has exempted key Brazilian exports from 40 percent tariffs that had been imposed on the South American country last year.

‘Affinity’ 

“The world doesn’t need more turbulence, it needs peace,” said Lula, who arrived in India on Wednesday for a summit on artificial intelligence and a bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Ties between Washington and Brasilia soured in recent months, with Trump angered over the trial and conviction of his ally, the far-right former Brazil president Jair Bolsonaro.
Trump imposed sanctions against several top officials, including a Supreme Court judge, to punish Brazil for what he termed a “witch hunt” against Bolsonaro.
Bolsonaro was sentenced to 27 years in prison for his role in a botched coup bid after his 2022 election loss to Lula.
Lula said that, as the two largest democracies in the Americas, he looked forward to a positive relationship with the United States.
“We are two men of 80 years of age, so we cannot play around with democracy,” he said.
“We have to take this very seriously. We have to shake hands eye-to-eye, person-to-person, and to discuss what is best for the US and Brazil.”
Lula also praised Modi after India and Brazil agreed to boost cooperation on critical minerals and rare earths and signed a raft of other deals on Saturday.
“I have a lot of affinity with Prime Minister Modi,” he said.
Lula will travel to South Korea later on Sunday for meetings with President Lee Jae Myung and to attend a business forum.