Yemeni coast guards block ports in protest

Updated 11 June 2012
Follow

Yemeni coast guards block ports in protest

SANAA/ADEN: Yemeni coast guards blocked ports yesterday to protest against the government’s failure to pay financial benefits they said it had promised, halting most shipping.
Port officials said the guards prevented workers from entering four main ports, including Aden in the south, Hodeidah in the west and the Red Sea ports of Mokha and Saleef.
“Movement has completely stopped in almost all ports,” Sharaf Mohammed, a ship captain at Hodeidah.
Yemen has slipped into a state of chaos during a year of unrest. Former President Ali Abdullah Saleh has been ousted after 33 years of rule and replaced by his deputy, Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, under a deal brokered by Yemen’s rich Gulf neighbors.
The army is pushing ahead with campaign to retake towns seized by militants linked to Al-Qaeda during the upheaval.
In Zinjibar, capital of southern Abyan province, where the army has been fighting the militants for more than a month, at least five militants were killed in battles yesterday with government forces, an official and residents said.
Another four fighters were killed and two soldiers wounded outside the town of Jaar, military officials and residents of the area said. They said there had been air strikes on targets including a factory used by fighters as a base.
Separately, at least one soldier and one member of the southern secessionist movement were killed during clashes yesterday in the southern province of Dalea, the Defense Ministry and southern activists said.
The ministry said in a text message that members of the southern secessionist movement had attacked the soldiers, while the secessionists said the soldiers fired at them without a warning.
The incident comes ahead of a meeting later this month in Cairo between Yemeni political leaders and prominent secessionists to prepare for a national dialogue scheduled for August.
The dialogue is an element of the Saudi and US-backed transition deal that removed Saleh from office this year in a bid to avert civil war.South Yemen was formerly a separate state whose 1990 union with the north collapsed into civil war four years later.

 


More than 100 Palestinians detained in West Bank since start of Ramadan, including women, children

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

More than 100 Palestinians detained in West Bank since start of Ramadan, including women, children

  • Arrests by Israelis accompanied by extensive field interrogation

RAMALLAH: Israeli forces have detained more than 100 Palestinians from the West Bank since the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan, including women, children, and former prisoners, the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society reported on Sunday.

The organization said the detentions coincided with Israel’s announcement of the intensification of such actions during Ramadan, with recent settler attacks providing cover for widespread detentions across most West Bank governorates, including Jerusalem. Many detainees from Jerusalem have been barred from entering Al-Aqsa Mosque.

A statement pointed out that arrests by Israelis are accompanied by extensive field interrogation which often targets all sections of Palestinian society.

Documented violations accompanying detentions include severe beatings, organized terror campaigns against detainees and their families, destruction and looting of homes, confiscation of vehicles, money and gold, demolition of family homes, use of family members as hostages, employment of prisoners as human shields, and extrajudicial executions.

The society stressed that Israel exploits detention campaigns to expand settlement activity in the West Bank, with settlers serving as a key tool to impose a new reality.

The Palestinian Detainees Affairs Commission has revealed harrowing details of the abuses faced by Palestinian prisoner Mohammed Wajih Mahamid from Jenin during his incarceration in Israeli prisons.

The commission said that on Nov. 15, 2023, Mahamid was severely beaten on his right knee with a baton used by prison guards, causing a serious injury that left him unable to walk without crutches.

He was beaten again on the same knee on March 29, 2025, resulting in severe swelling which was later confirmed to be a fracture. Despite his condition, the prison authorities only provided painkillers and refused to transfer him to hospital, maintaining a policy of deliberate medical neglect.

The commission stressed that these abuses reflected the harsh reality faced by Palestinian detainees, who are deprived of basic human rights, medical treatment and care.