MADRID: Atletico Madrid captain Gabi has called on UEFA to act if there is evidence Real Madrid defender Dani Carvajal bit Atletico forward Mario Mandzukic in Tuesday’s Champions League quarterfinal, first leg.
Carvajal, who could in any case be sanctioned by European soccer’s governing body over a punch he threw at Mandzukic during the same incident in the second half at the Calderon, strongly denied trying to bite the Croatia international on the arm.
Footage published on social media showed Carvajal’s mouth made contact with Mandzukic’s arm as they tangled off the ball but it was impossible to tell conclusively if he had sunk his teeth into it.
“Seeing after the match that I have been accused of biting a rival player I want to make it clear that I did not bite anyone, nor did I try to,” the Spain right back told reporters.
Speaking later to Spanish radio, Gabi said if evidence of a bite was clear UEFA should act.
“I can’t judge the incident but if UEFA study the images and see something they should take action,” Gabi said.
“They are unpleasant incidents and if the footage is so clear then perhaps the (UEFA disciplinary) committee should step in,” he added.
Real already have left back Marcelo suspended for next Wednesday’s second leg at the Bernabeu after he was booked late in the game and losing Carvajal as well would be a blow to the holders’ hopes of making the semifinals.
UEFA must act if Carvajal bite evidence conclusive: Gabi
UEFA must act if Carvajal bite evidence conclusive: Gabi
UEFA opens probe into ‘discriminatory behavior’ toward Vinicius
PARIS: UEFA said on Wednesday it would “investigate allegations of discriminatory behavior” after Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior accused Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during a Champions League match in Lisbon.
Tuesday’s first leg of the knockout phase play-off tie was stopped for more than 10 minutes after Vinicius complained to French referee Francois Letexier about the alleged abuse following a confrontation between him and Prestianni.
That came just moments after Brazil international Vinicius scored a sublime goal before picking up a yellow card after celebrating in front of the home crowd at the Estadio da Luz.
After arguing with Prestianni, Vinicius ran over to the referee and told him that he had been called “mono,” the Spanish word for monkey, by the Argentine midfielder.
The 20-year-old Prestianni, who covered his mouth with his shirt as he appeared to say something to Vinicius, denies racially abusing the Real Madrid star.
Real’s England full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold said the incident had left a sour taste in the mouth.
“It’s disgusting. What’s happened tonight is a disgrace for football. It’s ruined the night for the team,” he said.
Real forward Kylian Mbappe called on Prestianni to be banned.
“We cannot accept there’s a player playing in Europe’s best competition and behaving like this,” the France captain told reporters.
“This guy doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League again.”
Benfica coach Jose Mourinho hit out at Vinicius for inciting Benfica’s players and fans with his celebration.
“When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way,” said the Portuguese.









