BEIRUT/AMMAN: Syrian army bombing in the mountainous area along the border with Lebanon killed dozens of insurgents and helped regain hilly territory overlooking Hezbollah strongholds, the Lebanese group said on Thursday.
For years, hideouts in the Qalamoun mountains have allowed Al-Qaeda-linked fighters to attack Syrian soldiers and fighters from Hezbollah, a staunch ally of Syrian President Bashar Assad, along miles of borderland in eastern Lebanon.
The Syrian military backed by Hezbollah fighters captured the strategically important territory known as Assal Al-Ward on the Syrian side of the border, after retaking Qarna Heights, a Hezbollah official told Reuters, both in the 100-km (60-mile) Qalamoun range.
Some insurgents were from Al-Qaeda’s Nusra Front, he said.
Hezbollah’s leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah vowed on Tuesday that his forces and Syrian allies would clear the rebels out of the border region north of the capital Damascus that insurgents use as a main supply route for arms and fighters.
Although he did not disclose when his fighters would start a major assault in the Qalamoun area, his group said on Wednesday that its fighters had hit a gathering of militants on the Syrian side of the border, inflicting heavy casualties.
Lebanese officials have warned Iran-backed Hezbollah against launching a major cross-border attack, which they say would drag Lebanon, which suffered a civil war from 1975 to 1990, further into the years-long Syrian conflict.
On Wednesday, Hezbollah said its fighters had retaken part of a hilltop in Lebanon’s eastern border area known as Kherbat Al-Nahla overlooking the Syrian side of Qalamoun.
But rebel group Jaish Al-Fatah Qalamoun said on social media sites they had repelled the assault which Hezbollah has been rumored to have been planning for months.
In Syria, the army continued an offensive across rebel-held parts of the northwestern province of Idlib to regain significant amounts of ground lost in recent weeks.
The Syrian air force intensified raids near a hospital on the outskirts of rebel-held Jisr Al-Shughour where a number of Syrian troops have been holed up since insurgents captured the town last month. The raids prevented insurgents from making advances into the rich agricultural province by the Turkish border.
By taking Jisr Al-Shughour, the rebels have edged closer to the coastal province of Latakia, one of the main government-held strongholds, and are now less than 8 km from pro-government villages near the sea.
Assad forces, Hezbollah advance along Lebanon border
Assad forces, Hezbollah advance along Lebanon border
Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan
- Israeli authorities said they would only allow up to 10,000 Palestinian worshippers from the West Bank to attend prayers at al-Aqsa
Palestinian worshippers coming from West Bank cities arrived at Israeli checkpoints on Friday hoping to cross to attend first Friday prayers of Ramadan at al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.
Some said they were not allowed to enter and were asked to go back.
Israeli authorities said they would only allow up to 10,000 Palestinian worshippers from the West Bank to attend prayers at al-Aqsa, as security forces stepped up deployments across the city.
Police said preparations for Ramadan had been completed, with large numbers of officers and border police to be deployed in the Old City, around holy sites and along routes used by worshippers.
Israel's COGAT, a military agency that controls access to the West Bank and Gaza, said that entry to Jerusalem from the West Bank would be capped at 10,000 worshippers. Men aged 55 and over and women aged 50 and over will be eligible to enter, along with children up to age 12 accompanied by a first-degree relative, COGAT said.
Al-Aqsa lies at the heart of Jerusalem's old city. It is Islam's third holiest site and known to Jews as Temple Mount.









