ISTANBUL: Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday announced he was postponing a visit to Abu Dhabi because Emirati leader Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had a “health problem” — then deleted the message.
The message, posted by Erdogan’s team on X, said he had talked with Al Nahyan by phone.
“During the course of the call, President Erdogan expressed his sadness over the health problem experienced by (President) Al Nahyan and wished him a prompt recovery,” said the three-paragraph message.
Erdogan would travel to the United Arab Emirates at a later date, still to be determined, the message added.
Although the message — of which AFP has a screen grab — was quickly deleted from the account, it had already been picked up by official Turkish media.
Turkiye’s state broadcaster likewise took down its article on Erdogan that mentioned the Emirati leader’s health problem.
The official Emirati news agency, WAM, reported on the telephone conversation between the two leaders, but did not mention that Erdogan’s visit had been postponed.
Contacted by AFP, neither the Turkish presidency nor the Emirati authorities — who have themselves made no statement on their president’s health — have yet answered.
The Emirati leader’s team on Saturday evening released photos taken the same day showing Al Nahyan, known as MBZ, smiling and apparently in good health, with Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the emir of Qatar.
Erdogan postpones UAE visit, saying leader has ‘health problem’
Short Url
https://arab.news/jr9jv
Erdogan postpones UAE visit, saying leader has ‘health problem’
- Turkiye’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Sunday announced he was postponing a visit to Abu Dhabi because Emirati leader Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had a “health problem” — then deleted the message
UN says Israeli actions raising ‘ethnic cleansing’ fears in West Bank, Gaza
GENEVA: Israel’s increased attacks and forcible transfers of Palestinians “raise concerns over ethnic cleansing” in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, the United Nations said Thursday.
The UN human rights office said the cumulative impact of Israel’s military conduct during the war in Gaza, plus its blockade of the territory, had inflicted living conditions “increasingly incompatible with Palestinians’ continued existence as a group in Gaza.”
“Intensified attacks, the methodical destruction of entire neighborhoods and the denial of humanitarian assistance appeared to aim at a permanent demographic shift in Gaza,” the office said in a report.
“This, together with forcible transfers, which appear to aim at a permanent displacement, raise concerns over ethnic cleansing in Gaza and the West Bank.”
The report looked at November 1, 2024 to October 31, 2025.
In the occupied West Bank and annexed East Jerusalem, the report said the “systematic use of unlawful force” by Israeli security forces, “widespread” arbitrary detention and the “extensive unlawful demolition” of Palestinian homes was being carried out to “systematically discriminate, oppress, control and dominate the Palestinian people.”
“These violations were “altering the character, status and demographic composition of the occupied West Bank, raising serious concerns of ethnic cleansing,” it said.
- ‘Inhumane choice’ -
In Gaza, the report condemned the continued killing and maiming of “unprecedented numbers of civilians,” the spread of famine, and destruction of the “remaining civilian infrastructure.”
During the 12 months covered in the report, at least 463 Palestinians, including 157 children, starved to death in Gaza, it said.
“Palestinians faced the inhumane choice of either starving to death or risking being killed while trying to get food,” said the report.
“The situation of famine and malnutrition was the direct result of actions taken by the Israeli government,” with the deaths and suffering from hunger “foreseeable and repeatedly foretold.”
Across the reporting period, Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups continued to hold Israeli and foreign hostages seized on October 7, 2023 — dead or alive — as “bargaining tools.”
The rights office said the hostages’ treatment amounted to war crimes.
“Israeli forces, Hamas, and other Palestinian armed groups committed serious violations of international humanitarian law in Gaza, gross violations and abuses of international human rights law, and atrocity crimes,” the report concluded.
Impunity ‘kills’
Last week, UN rights chief Volker Turk warned that the world was witnessing “rapid steps to change permanently the demography of the occupied Palestinian territory.”
On Tuesday, Israel’s far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich vowed to encourage “emigration” from the Palestinian territories.
And on Wednesday, UN Under-Secretary-General Rosemary DiCarlo warned the Security Council that steps by Israel to tighten control of areas of the West Bank administered by the Palestinian Authority amount to “gradual de facto annexation.”
Thursday’s rights office report concluded that considered together, Israeli practices “indicated a concerted and accelerating effort to consolidate annexation of large parts of the Occupied Palestinian Territory and to deny Palestinians’ right to self-determination.”
The report said there was a pervasive climate of impunity for serious violations of international law by the Israeli authorities in the Palestinian territories.
“Impunity is not abstract — it kills. Accountability is indispensable. It is the prerequisite for a just and durable peace in Palestine and Israel,” Turk said in a statement.
The UN human rights office said the cumulative impact of Israel’s military conduct during the war in Gaza, plus its blockade of the territory, had inflicted living conditions “increasingly incompatible with Palestinians’ continued existence as a group in Gaza.”
“Intensified attacks, the methodical destruction of entire neighborhoods and the denial of humanitarian assistance appeared to aim at a permanent demographic shift in Gaza,” the office said in a report.
“This, together with forcible transfers, which appear to aim at a permanent displacement, raise concerns over ethnic cleansing in Gaza and the West Bank.”
The report looked at November 1, 2024 to October 31, 2025.
In the occupied West Bank and annexed East Jerusalem, the report said the “systematic use of unlawful force” by Israeli security forces, “widespread” arbitrary detention and the “extensive unlawful demolition” of Palestinian homes was being carried out to “systematically discriminate, oppress, control and dominate the Palestinian people.”
“These violations were “altering the character, status and demographic composition of the occupied West Bank, raising serious concerns of ethnic cleansing,” it said.
- ‘Inhumane choice’ -
In Gaza, the report condemned the continued killing and maiming of “unprecedented numbers of civilians,” the spread of famine, and destruction of the “remaining civilian infrastructure.”
During the 12 months covered in the report, at least 463 Palestinians, including 157 children, starved to death in Gaza, it said.
“Palestinians faced the inhumane choice of either starving to death or risking being killed while trying to get food,” said the report.
“The situation of famine and malnutrition was the direct result of actions taken by the Israeli government,” with the deaths and suffering from hunger “foreseeable and repeatedly foretold.”
Across the reporting period, Hamas and other Palestinian armed groups continued to hold Israeli and foreign hostages seized on October 7, 2023 — dead or alive — as “bargaining tools.”
The rights office said the hostages’ treatment amounted to war crimes.
“Israeli forces, Hamas, and other Palestinian armed groups committed serious violations of international humanitarian law in Gaza, gross violations and abuses of international human rights law, and atrocity crimes,” the report concluded.
Impunity ‘kills’
Last week, UN rights chief Volker Turk warned that the world was witnessing “rapid steps to change permanently the demography of the occupied Palestinian territory.”
On Tuesday, Israel’s far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich vowed to encourage “emigration” from the Palestinian territories.
And on Wednesday, UN Under-Secretary-General Rosemary DiCarlo warned the Security Council that steps by Israel to tighten control of areas of the West Bank administered by the Palestinian Authority amount to “gradual de facto annexation.”
Thursday’s rights office report concluded that considered together, Israeli practices “indicated a concerted and accelerating effort to consolidate annexation of large parts of the Occupied Palestinian Territory and to deny Palestinians’ right to self-determination.”
The report said there was a pervasive climate of impunity for serious violations of international law by the Israeli authorities in the Palestinian territories.
“Impunity is not abstract — it kills. Accountability is indispensable. It is the prerequisite for a just and durable peace in Palestine and Israel,” Turk said in a statement.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










