Pakistan, Saudi Arabia discuss regional situation, upcoming engagements

Pakistan's Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, Muhammad Ishaq Dar (right) meets with the Foreign Minister of Saudi Arabia, Prince Faisal bin Farhan, in Riyadh on October 28, 2025. (PID/File)
Short Url
Updated 14 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan, Saudi Arabia discuss regional situation, upcoming engagements

  • Ishaq Dar and Prince Faisal bin Farhan agree to stay in contact amid Middle East tensions
  • The two officials speak ahead of Trump’s Feb. 19 Board of Peace meeting in Washington, DC

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar discussed regional developments and upcoming international engagements with Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan in a phone call on Saturday, according to the foreign office in Islamabad.

The conversation took place against the backdrop of deepening strategic ties between Islamabad and Riyadh. In September last year, the two countries signed a bilateral defense agreement that formalized decades of military cooperation and included a commitment to view aggression against one as an attack on both countries.

“Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Mohammad Ishaq Dar held a telephonic conversation today with the Foreign Minister of Saudi Arabia, Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud,” Pakistan’s foreign ministry said in a statement.

“The two leaders discussed the evolving regional situation, forthcoming international engagements, and agreed to remain in close contact,” it added.

The two officials spoke at a time of heightened tensions in the Middle East, with the conflict in Gaza far from resolution amid ongoing ceasefire violations by Israel.

The region has also been on edge as the United States pursues nuclear negotiations with Iran, prompting regional states to call for diplomacy rather than new military flare-ups.

Both Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are participants in US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace, which is scheduled to meet on Feb. 19 in Washington.

Islamabad and Riyadh have consistently coordinated positions over regional and global issues.

The foreign ministry did not provide further details of the discussion.
 


Rain delays Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights clash in Colombo

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Rain delays Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights clash in Colombo

  • Pakistan won the toss and opted to bat before showers halted play
  • Fakhar Zaman returns as both teams seek early advantage in Group 2

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Super Eights clash against New Zealand at the Twenty20 World Cup was delayed by rain in Colombo on Saturday after captain Salman Ali Agha won the toss and elected to bat first.

The Group 2 encounter at the R. Premadasa Stadium marks the start of the tournament’s second phase for both sides, with Sri Lanka and England also in the group. The match was scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. Pakistan time, but persistent showers prevented the start of play.

“Rain delays the start of the match,” the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said in a post on X.

Pakistan made one change from their final group-stage fixture, recalling Fakhar Zaman in place of Khawaja Nafay. New Zealand brought back regular captain Mitchell Santner along with Ish Sodhi and Lockie Ferguson.

Earlier in the week, Pakistan sealed their place in the Super Eights with a 102-run win over Namibia after posting 199-3, while New Zealand also advanced after finishing second in their group.

The second phase of the tournament began without former champions Australia, who failed to qualify, while Zimbabwe topped Group B with an unbeaten campaign.

With rain continuing in Colombo, officials were monitoring conditions to determine whether a shortened contest would be possible.

A washout would see both teams share points, potentially affecting semifinal calculations in the tightly contested group.

With input from AP