Draw completed for WTA’s 2026 Dubai Tennis Championships

The draw for the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships was completed on Saturday. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 14 February 2026
Follow

Draw completed for WTA’s 2026 Dubai Tennis Championships

  • World No. 3 Elena Rybakina placed in same half of draw as Coco Gauff, Elina Svitolina and British No. 1 Emma Raducanu
  • Field includes 16 of world’s top 20 female players, 6 Grand Slam winners

DUBAI: The draw for the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships’ WTA 1000 tournament took place on Saturday, determining the pathway to the final for the tournament’s star-filled field.

This year’s line-up features 16 of the world’s top 20, including Australian Open winner Elena Rybakina, World No.5 Coco Gauff, and last year’s history-making Dubai champion Mirra Andreeva.

Taking place at a renovated Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium, the 26th edition of the city’s women’s showpiece will run from Feb. 15-24 and boasts six Grand Slam singles winners sharing a collective nine titles between them.

While the top eight seeds all received first-round byes, top seed and World No. 3 Rybakina — triumphant in Melbourne just a few weeks ago — is on course for a second-round meeting with German Tatjana Maria. On the other half of the draw, No. 2 seed Amanda Anisimova could face two-time Grand Slam winner Barbora Krejcikova — a winner here in 2023 — in the round of 32, should the latter safely negotiate her first-round tie with Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.

Rybakina’s half of the draw also features the likes of 2023 US Open champion Gauff (No. 3 seed), World No. 9 Elina Svitolina (No. 7 seed), 2017 French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko (No. 10 seed), British No. 1 Emma Raducanu and rising star Alexandra Eala of the Philippines – who will face Lucky Loser Hailey Baptiste of the US to progress to a second-round tie with 2024 Dubai winner Jasmine Paolini.

Eala, who attended the draw and is sure to attract huge Filipino support when she starts her campaign on Sunday at 7 p.m. (UAE) on Centre Court, said: “The atmosphere changes a lot when there’s so many excited people. It means a lot for me, because it makes me feel like I’m home when I’m traveling for so many weeks of the year. And I think that feeling is reciprocated for a lot of the overseas Filipino workers. I know there’s a huge population of them here in the Middle East, so it means a lot for people to see themselves in other people. That’s what makes it special here.”

The Kabayan community will also have the chance to watch Leylah Fernandez, the Canadian of Filipino descent, on Centre Court when she meets No. 13 seed Liudmila Samsonova earlier in the afternoon.

On the opposite side of the draw, as well as the WTA’s youngest 1000 winner Andreeva and World No. 6 Jessica Pegula, Greek star Maria Sakkari will follow up her semifinal appearance in Doha last week with an opening round match against No. 16 seed Iva Jovic. This year’s Dubai tournament marks Jovic’s first appearance in the Middle East, and she is already impressed by what she has seen — which includes plenty of the emirate, having taken in the panoramic city views afforded from atop the world’s tallest building, Burj Khalifa.

“I didn’t get to see a tonne of (Maria) play in Doha, so I’m going to talk to my coach and we’ll do some scouting,” said the 18-year-old American. “It’s never easy playing someone who is going into the week with a lot of confidence and she’s definitely in the match zone, but I’m going to do everything I can. I think I’ve prepared very well. I’ve worked hard for the last couple of weeks going into the start of the year. It’ll be tricky, but that’s what we love.

“The start of WTA week is always exciting for us because it gives us an opportunity to showcase some of the improvements that we have done in the past year,” said Ramesh Cidambi, managing director, Dubai Duty Free and chair of the Tournament Organizing Committee.

He also confirmed a new Court One with a 2,000-seat capacity, as well as an expanded Tennis Village. “This is phase one of the upgrade we are doing to the site and as soon as this tournament is over, we will start working on the expansion of the Centre Court to add another 2,500 seats and have a 7,500-capacity Centre Court.”

The 26th edition of the annual WTA event, which takes place from Feb. 15-21, features 16 of the top 20 ranked female players in the world and 33 of the top 40. It will be followed by the emirate’s annual ATP 500 men’s tournament from Feb. 23-28.


PSG rally from early deficit to beat Monaco 3-2 away in Champions League playoff

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

PSG rally from early deficit to beat Monaco 3-2 away in Champions League playoff

  • PSG are now in an advantageous position for the return leg in Paris next Wednesday as they look to progress to next month’s last 16

MONACO: Champions League holders Paris St. Germain overcame a horror start and a two-goal deficit to beat 10-man Monaco 3-2 away in the first leg ​of their knockout round playoff tie on Tuesday.
Desire Doue came off the bench to engineer an impressive turnaround for PSG, who conceded a goal in the opening minute and were 2-0 down after 18 minutes as Folarin Balogun grabbed a double for the hosts.
The 20-year-old Doue replaced Ballon d’Or winner Ousmane Dembele, who went off injured after 27 minutes, and proved decisive for the visitors as he struck two superb goals plus set up one for Achraf Hakimi.
Monaco spent most of the second half down to 10 men after Aleksandr Golovin was shown a red card for a studs-up tackle that raked ‌down the shin ‌of Vitinha with the referee upgrading his original caution to a ​sending ‌off ⁠after ​consulting ⁠the touchline VAR screen.
PSG are now in an advantageous position for the return leg in Paris next Wednesday as they look to progress to next month’s last 16.
However, the European champions were in all sorts of trouble after 56 seconds when their fullback Nuno Mendes had a stray cross-field pass cut out in midfield, handing Monaco a first attack with Golovin chipping for Balogun to head home from close range.
Monaco looked to be in the driving seat as Balogun netted a second goal after Maghnes Akliouche’s cleverly weighted pass allowed ⁠the American striker to outsprint PSG captain Marquinhos and score.

PSG WASTE PENALTY OPPORTUNITY ‌BUT STILL WIN
Their fortunes were still looking good despite a ‌defensive slip by Wout Faes, which led to the defender pulling ​back on Khvicha Kvaratskhelia and giving away a ‌22nd-minute penalty, but Vitinha’s effort was saved by Philipp Kohn.
But the tie swung as Doue came ‌on for Dembele and scored with his first touch in the 29th minute with a left-footed effort after being teed up by Bradley Barcola. The goal was confirmed after a VAR check denied Monaco’s claims for a foul on defender Vanderson in the buildup.
Doue’s rifling shot in the 41st minute was parried away by Kohn, but Hakimi ‌reacted quickly to pounce on the rebound and make it 2-2 before the break.
Golovin’s dismissal in the 48th minute left Monaco on the back ⁠foot as the visitors then ⁠dominated proceedings and should have had more than just the 67th-minute winner from Doue – another superbly struck shot that flew into the goal from the edge of the penalty area.
“I didn’t feel I had to show something starting on the bench, I tried to play as usual. Tonight it paid off. I was able to score, to help the team. That’s my job,” Doue said.
“The coach makes his choices, he thinks about putting the best players in the team. Tonight he fielded this starting eleven, which is very good. Whether it’s a defeat or a victory, it’s always a team effort.”
PSG midfielder Warren Zaire-Emery missed a couple of good chances and Hakimi came close to a late fourth goal when his 86th-minute angled effort went close across the face of the goal.
“Disappointment is the overriding feeling,” ​said Monaco captain Denis Zakaria. “We went into this ​match with the aim of winning, but we didn’t manage to do it today. We still have our chances. We’re going to Paris and trying to win there.”