Qatar’s Sheikh Tamim arrives in Abu Dhabi

Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani and his delegation were welcomed by UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan upon their arrival at Al-Bateen Airport in Abu Dhabi.
Short Url
Updated 14 February 2026
Follow

Qatar’s Sheikh Tamim arrives in Abu Dhabi

ABU DHABI: Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin ​Hamad Al-Thani arrived Saturday in Abu Dhabi, state news agency QNA reported.

The Qatari ruler and his accompanying delegation were welcomed upon arrival at the Al-Bateen Airport by UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan.

The Qatari delegation was also welcomed by Vice President, Deputy Prime Minister, and Chairman of the Presidential Court Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al-Nahyan; Crown Prince of Dubai, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum; Deputy Ruler of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Tahnoon bin Zayed Al-Nahyan; Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior Lt. General Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al-Nahyan; Deputy Chairman of the Presidential Court for Special Affairs Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohamed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan; Adviser to the UAE President Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad Al-Nahyan; Ambassador of the State of Qatar to the UAE Dr. Sultan Salmeen Al-Mansouri, along with a number of senior officials.

Sheikh Tamim headed to Abu Dhabi on a fraternal visit to the UAE, QNA reported.

Sheikh Tamim is accompanied by Personal Representative of the Emir Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al-Thani, President of the Olympic Council of Asia and President of the Qatar Olympic Committee Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad Al-Thani, Chief of the Amiri Diwan Abdullah bin Mohammed Al-Khulaifi, and a number of senior officials.


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.