Sabalenka, Swiatek withdraw from WTA 1000 event in Dubai

Aryna Sabalenka, right, Iga Swiatek after their women’s singles semi-final match at the French Open in Paris on June 5, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 14 February 2026
Follow

Sabalenka, Swiatek withdraw from WTA 1000 event in Dubai

  • Aryna Sabalenka has not played since losing the Australian Open final to Elena Rybakina last month
  • Iga Swiatek was in action this week in Doha but failed in her bid for a fourth Qatar Open title

PARIS: Aryna Sabalenka and Iga Swiatek, the world’s top two players, have both pulled out of next week’s WTA 1000 event in Dubai, tournament organizers announced.
Sabalenka has not played since losing the Australian Open final to Elena Rybakina last month.
“I’m really sorry I have to withdraw from Dubai,” said the Belarusian in a statement released by organizers on Friday.
“I have such a special connection with the tournament, the fans and the city. Unfortunately, I am not feeling 100 percent. But I hope to be back next year and wish the tournament a great event.”
Swiatek was in action this week in Doha but failed in her bid for a fourth Qatar Open title, losing to Maria Sakkari in the quarter-finals.
“I am sorry to announce that I will not be playing Dubai this year due to a change of schedule,” said the six-time Grand Slam champion.
The first round in Dubai gets under way on Sunday.


Mancini’s Al-Sadd advance in Asian Champions League despite defeat

Updated 59 min 30 sec ago
Follow

Mancini’s Al-Sadd advance in Asian Champions League despite defeat

  • Al-Sadd will take on table-toppers Al-Hilal over two legs in early March in the ⁠next round
  • “Today was a very difficult game,” said Al-Sadd goal scorer Rafa Mujica

DOHA: Roberto Mancini’s Al-Sadd suffered a 4-1 thrashing at the hands of Saudi Pro League champions Al-Ittihad in the Asian Champions League Elite in Doha on Tuesday but the Qatari club still scraped through to the last 16 of the continental championship.
A 2-0 loss for Al-Sadd’s compatriots Al-Gharafa against Iranian outfit Tractor FC meant Mancini’s side clung on to eighth place in the western league phase standings to claim a spot in the knockout rounds.


Al-Sadd will take on table-toppers Al-Hilal over two legs in early March in the ⁠next round while ⁠Al-Ittihad, who finished fourth in the standings, face off against Al-Wahda from the United Arab Emirates.
Defending champions Al-Ahli, also from Saudi Arabia, will play Al-Duhail from Qatar with Tractor meeting UAE’s Shabab Al-Ahli.
“Today was a very difficult game,” said Al-Sadd goal scorer Rafa Mujica. “The first 20, ⁠25 minutes were very bad for us. We conceded everything.
“But we only have to think about the next game. We are qualified. We will see in the next game.”
Mancini’s team needed to match or better the result recorded by Al-Gharafa but went two goals behind inside the opening 18 minutes when Houssem Aouar and Youssef En-Nesyri struck for the visitors.
A Pedro Miguel own goal in the 33rd minute compounded Al-Sadd’s problems although Mujica gave Al-Sadd a ⁠glimmer of ⁠hope seven minutes before the interval.
Stephan Keller restored Al-Ittihad’s three-goal cushion when he scored with a close range finish in the 63rd minute as the Saudi side notched up their second comfortable win in a row.
Al-Gharafa’s hopes were erased, however, when their Iranian visitors scored twice in the final 30 minutes to knock Pedro Martins’ team out of the competition.
Mehdi Hashemnejad netted after the Al-Gharafa defense failed to clear in the 61st minute and Amirhossein Hosseinzadeh’s deflected effort into the top corner put the result beyond doubt with nine minutes remaining.