US links American tech firms with Pakistani officials in investment outreach

A US State Department official adjusts Pakistan’s national flag in Washington, US, on February 19, 2015. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 13 February 2026
Follow

US links American tech firms with Pakistani officials in investment outreach

  • Webinar connects 25 US ICT companies with Pakistan’s tech authorities
  • Outreach comes amid renewed push to expand bilateral commercial engagement

ISLAMABAD: The US Embassy in Islamabad said on Friday it had linked 25 American technology companies with senior Pakistani officials during a webinar aimed at exploring partnerships and investment opportunities in Pakistan’s information technology sector.

US Chargé d’Affaires Natalie A. Baker hosted a Feb. 12 webinar bringing together representatives from US information and communication technology (ICT) firms with Pakistani policymakers to explore partnerships and investment opportunities. 

The outreach reflects growing US interest in Pakistan’s technology industry, which Islamabad has prioritized as an export-led growth sector amid economic reforms and efforts to attract foreign investment.

“The US Mission in Pakistan is committed to fostering strong economic ties between our nations,” Baker said during the event.

“We believe that by working together, we can unlock the full potential of Pakistan’s IT sector, create new opportunities for American businesses, and contribute to Pakistan’s economic development.”

The webinar highlighted commercial openings in cloud computing, data centers, cybersecurity and artificial intelligence, areas where American companies are global leaders. 

Pakistani officials outlined government initiatives to expand broadband access, promote technology parks and introduce regulatory reforms aimed at encouraging investment.

Baker said the embassy and US consulates were helping American firms navigate the Pakistani market.

“We are committed to facilitating investment, promoting trade, and advocating for policies to improve the business environment,” she said.

The session was part of the State Department’s Direct Line for American Businesses program, which gives US companies access to foreign government officials and market experts. It was the third such event hosted by the US Mission in Pakistan over the past year.

Washington has increasingly emphasized commercial diplomacy and private-sector investment in its engagement with Islamabad, with technology cooperation emerging as a key pillar alongside traditional security ties.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”