Simu Liu joins Middle East Film & Comic Con lineup

Marvel star Simu Liu has joined the lineup of celebrities attending this year’s Middle East Film & Comic Con. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 10 February 2026
Follow

Simu Liu joins Middle East Film & Comic Con lineup

DUBAI: Marvel star Simu Liu has joined the lineup of celebrities attending this year’s Middle East Film & Comic Con, set to run from April 24-26 in Abu Dhabi.

Best known for his role as Shang-Chi in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Chinese-Canadian actor, writer and executive producer became Marvel Studios’ first Asian lead superhero with the release of “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” in 2021. His other screen credits include the CBC television series “Kim’s Convenience” and a supporting role in the 2023 smash hit “Barbie.”

According to organisers, attendees will have the opportunity to meet Liu during scheduled appearances, including photo sessions and autograph signings.

He joins previously announced guest Christopher Judge, as well as two comic industry figures newly confirmed for the event. Italian comic book artist Federico Vicentini will appear as part of the Comic Creators Club, a section of the convention dedicated to illustrators, writers and other creatives. Vicentini’s recent work includes titles such as “Amazing Spider-Man,” “Wolverine” and “Falcon & Winter Soldier.”

Also joining the lineup is US comic book artist Brett Breeding, who has nearly five decades of experience in the industry. Breeding is known for his inking work on major characters including Superman, Spider-Man and Thor, alongside projects in photography and voice acting.

The convention will feature returning zones such as the Gaming Arena, Bookworm Lounge, Tabletop Zone and Collectors Gallery, alongside a new Otaku District focused on modern Asian pop culture, including anime and K-Pop.


Director Kaouther Ben Hania rejects Berlin honor over Gaza

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Director Kaouther Ben Hania rejects Berlin honor over Gaza

DUBAI: Kaouther Ben Hania, the Tunisian filmmaker behind “The Voice of Hind Rajab,” refused to accept an award at a Berlin ceremony this week after an Israeli general was recognized at the same event.

The director was due to receive the Most Valuable Film award at the Cinema for Peace gala, held alongside the Berlinale, but chose to leave the prize behind.

On stage, Ben Hania said the moment carried a sense of responsibility rather than celebration. She used her remarks to demand justice and accountability for Hind Rajab, a five-year-old Palestinian girl killed by Israeli soldiers in Gaza in 2024, along with two paramedics who were shot while trying to reach her.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by @artists4ceasefire

“Justice means accountability. Without accountability, there is no peace,” Ben Hania said.

“The Israeli army killed Hind Rajab; killed her family; killed the two paramedics who came to save her, with the complicity of the world’s most powerful governments and institutions,” she said.

“I refuse to let their deaths become a backdrop for a polite speech about peace. Not while the structures that enabled them remain untouched.”

Ben Hania said she would accept the honor “with joy” only when peace is treated as a legal and moral duty, grounded in accountability for genocide.