US reaches nuclear deal with Armenia during Vance visit

US Vice President JD Vance and Armenia's Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan in Yerevan where they signed a civilian nuclear deal. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 09 February 2026
Follow

US reaches nuclear deal with Armenia during Vance visit

  • JD Vance’s visit to Armenia follows US-brokered peace accord with Azerbaijan mending relations after decades of war
  • Agreement will ‌allow ⁠up ​to $5bn in initial US exports to Armenia, plus an additional $4bn in longer-term fuel and maintenance contracts

TBILISI: Armenia and the United States agreed on Monday to cooperate in the civil nuclear sector as Washington sought to bolster ties with a former close ally of Russia, months after Washington brokered a peace agreement in the South Caucasus.
A statement on the nuclear sector deal was signed by Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and US Vice President JD Vance, who is on a two-day visit to the country.
The two said they had completed negotiations on what is known as a 123 Agreement, which allows the ‌US to legally license ‌nuclear technology and equipment to other countries.
The agreement will ‌allow ⁠up ​to $5 ‌billion in initial US exports to Armenia, plus an additional $4 billion in longer-term fuel and maintenance contracts, Vance said.
“This agreement will open a new chapter in the deepening energy partnership between Armenia and the United States,” Pashinyan said at a joint press conference with Vance.
Long heavily dependent on Russia and Iran for its energy supplies, Armenia is now reviewing proposals from US, Russian, Chinese, French and South Korean companies to construct a new nuclear reactor to replace its sole, aging ⁠Russian-built nuclear power plant, Metsamor.
No choice has yet been made, but Monday’s announcement paves the way for an American ‌project to be selected. That would deal a blow to ‍Russia, which traditionally has viewed the ‍South Caucasus as its sphere of influence but whose clout there has diminished as a ‍result of its invasion of Ukraine.

'Diversify partners’

“Considering Armenia’s multiplicity of dependencies on Russia, it is a political priority to diversify partners when it comes to nuclear cooperation,” said Narek Sukiasyan, a political scientist in Yerevan.
“The United States seems to be the preference now.”
Vance’s visit comes just six months after ​the Armenian and Azerbaijani leaders signed an agreement at the White House seen as the first step toward peace after nearly 40 years of war.
Vance ⁠was also seeking to advance the “Trump Route for International Peace and Prosperity (TRIPP),” a proposed 43-kilometer (27-mile) corridor that would run across southern Armenia and give Azerbaijan a direct route to its exclave of Nakhchivan and in turn to Turkiye, Baku’s close ally.
The route would better connect Asia to Europe while — crucially for Washington — bypassing Russia and Iran at a time when Western countries are keen on diversifying energy and trade routes away from Russia due to the Ukraine conflict.
The TRIPP corridor, which envisages new or updated rail infrastructure, oil and gas pipelines and fiber-optic cables, would transform the South Caucasus, a region riven by closed borders and longstanding ethnic conflicts.
“We’re not just making peace for Armenia,” Vance said. “We’re also creating real prosperity for Armenia and ‌the United States together.”
He is set to visit Azerbaijan on Wednesday and Thursday, according to the White House.


Louvre official says fraud ‘inevitable’ at large museums

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Louvre official says fraud ‘inevitable’ at large museums

  • Among the suspects are two Chinese tour guides accused of bringing groups of tourists into the museum

PARIS: For the Louvre, the world’s most visited museum, it is “statistically inevitable” that fraud would come up at some point, the museum’s No. 2 said in the wake of a decade-long, $11.8 million suspected ticket-fraud scheme revealed last week.

Kim Pham, the Louvre’s general administrator, told The Associated Press that the museum’s unique scale makes it particularly vulnerable. However, pressed to name other institutions with similar problems, he declined to single out peers.

“Which museum in the world, with this level of attendance, would not at certain moments have some issues of fraud,” wondered Pham, who oversees day-to-day operations, including administration and internal management.

And that’s no easy task, with 86,000 square meters of space presenting 35,000 works of art to nine million visitors a year.

Last week, Paris prosecutors said that nine people were being detained in connection to the ticket scheme. The nine have been formally charged and brought before investigating judges.

Among the suspects are two Chinese tour guides accused of bringing groups of tourists into the museum by fraudulently reusing the same tickets multiple times for different visitors, allegedly with the help of Louvre employees.

The Louvre had filed a complaint back in December 2024, prosecutors said. Investigators estimate losses of more than $11.8 million over a decade, with the alleged criminal network suspected of bringing in up to 20 guided groups a day.