Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter jet draws ‘strong interest’ at Riyadh defense exhibition

The picture posted by Pakistan Strategic Forum on February 7, 2026, shows Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter at World Defense Exhibition in Riyadh. (Pakistan Strategic Forum/X)
Short Url
Updated 09 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan’s JF-17 fighter jet draws ‘strong interest’ at Riyadh defense exhibition

  • Jets showcased as Pakistan seeks to expand defense exports
  • Interest in JF-17 has heightened after May 2025 conflict with India 

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s JF-17 Thunder fighter jet has drawn “strong interest” at the World Defense Exhibition in Riyadh, Pakistan’s state broadcaster said on Sunday, as Islamabad promotes the aircraft to international buyers at one of the region’s largest defense industry events.

The exhibition brings together defense officials, manufacturers and military delegations from dozens of countries, offering a platform for arms exporters to showcase equipment and pursue new contracts amid heightened global and regional security concerns.

Saudi Arabia has sought to position Riyadh as a regional hub for defense and aerospace exhibitions, using such events to foster partnerships and attract international manufacturers as part of broader diversification efforts. 

Last year Islamabad signed a mutual defense pact with Riyadh and is reportedly discussing another defense agreement involving Saudi Arabia and Turkiye, although details have not been made public.

“At the World Defense Exhibition in Riyadh, the Pakistan Air Force’s JF-17 Thunder has attracted strong interest from visitors and defense experts, standing out among fighter jets displayed by the US, Saudi Arabia and other countries,” state broadcaster Pakistan Television reported.

Islamabad is attending the exhibition in the backdrop of talks with at least 13 countries, six to eight of which are in an advanced stage, for deals involving JF-17 jets made jointly with China as well as training aircraft, drones, and weapons systems, according to recent media reports. 

Interest in the JF-17 jets has been bolstered by its operational visibility following the Pakistan-India military confrontation in May 2025, which Pakistani officials and defense analysts have cited as reinforcing the aircraft’s combat credibility.

Islamabad has increasingly positioned the JF-17 as a cost-effective multirole combat aircraft for countries seeking alternatives to high-end Western fighter jets. The aircraft is already in service with several foreign air forces and remains central to Islamabad’s defense export strategy.

Countries engaged in talks include Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Morocco, Ethiopia, and Nigeria as well as the government in eastern Libya led by Khalifa Haftar. Discussions on JF-17s and other weapons with Bangladesh and Iraq have been publicly acknowledged by Pakistan’s military, although more details have not been made public.

Almost all the potential buyers are Muslim-majority nations, like Pakistan. Many are from the predominantly Muslim Middle East, where Pakistan has historically been a security provider.

Separately, Pakistan’s Defense Minister Khawaja Asif met his Saudi counterpart, Khalid bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, at the sidelines of the event. 

Asif congratulated the Saudi leadership and the defense minister on the “successful and splendid” organization of the World Defense Show, state broadcaster Radio Pakistan reported. 

“He described this global defense event as an important milestone in promoting defense cooperation in the region,” Radio Pakistan said. 


Pakistan says Sri Lanka to ease visa restrictions after Colombo talks

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan says Sri Lanka to ease visa restrictions after Colombo talks

  • Pakistan Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi meets Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake in Colombo
  • Naqvi informs Sri Lankan president about visa-related difficulties being faced by Pakistani nationals

KARACHI: Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake has assured Islamabad that the island nation will ease visa restrictions for Pakistani citizens, the Pakistani interior ministry said on Tuesday.

Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, who is also the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), met Dissanayake during a visit to the country on Tuesday. The Pakistani minister arrived in Sri Lanka last week to watch the T20 World Cup cricket clash between India and Pakistan in Colombo on Sunday. 

Naqvi informed the Sri Lankan president about visa-related difficulties being faced by Pakistani nationals during the meeting, the interior ministry said in a statement. 

“The Sri Lankan president took immediate notice and directed that Pakistan be removed from all such lists without delay,” it said. 

Both sides held detailed discussions on counterterrorism, counternarcotics and joint training between their security forces, the statement added. 

Naqvi thanked Dissanayake for the arrangements the government had taken to accommodate Pakistan’s matches in Sri Lanka. The Sri Lankan president reaffirmed his commitment to strengthen ties with Pakistan further. 

Dissanayake also conveyed a message of thanks for Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif for allowing the national men’s cricket team to play its cricket match against India. 

Pakistan’s government earlier this month announced it would not allow the cricket team to play against India to express solidarity with Bangladesh. The International Cricket Council (ICC) last month replaced Bangladesh with Scotland after the former said it would not play its matches in India owing to security concerns. The move drew sharp protests from the cricket boards of Pakistan and Bangladesh. 

Pakistan withdrew its decision and cleared the national team to play against India following negotiations with the ICC. Dissanayake had also spoken to Sharif and requested Pakistan to call off its boycott against India. 

Pakistan and Sri Lanka share long-standing ties with cooperation across various sectors. In December last year, Pakistan provided assistance to Sri Lanka in the form of relief aid and rescue workers following disastrous floods across the tropical island nation.