Pakistan arrests Daesh suspects, including Afghan ‘mastermind,’ after Islamabad attack

A man mourns over a coffin of his relative, during a funeral for victims following the suicide explosion at a Shi'ite Muslim mosque, in Islamabad, Pakistan, February 7, 2026. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 07 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan arrests Daesh suspects, including Afghan ‘mastermind,’ after Islamabad attack

  • Interior minister says attack was planned and suicide bomber trained in neighboring Afghanistan
  • Suicide bombing targeted worshippers on Islamabad’s outskirts, killing 32 and wounding over 150

ISLAMABAD: A police officer was killed and four suspects, including an Afghan national who worked for Daesh and masterminded a deadly suicide bombing in the Pakistani capital a day earlier, were arrested in overnight raids, according to Pakistan’s Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, who addressed a news conference on Saturday.

Officials have confirmed 32 deaths from Friday’s blast at the Qasr-e-Khadijatul Kubra mosque and imambargah in the Tarlai Kallan area on Islamabad’s outskirts, with more than 150 others injured.

The blast occurred during Friday prayers, when mosques around the country are packed with worshippers. A regional Daesh affiliate said one of its members had targeted the congregation by detonating an explosive vest.

“Immediately after the explosion, raids were carried out in Peshawar and Nowshera, and four of the facilitators [of the suicide bomber] were arrested,” Naqvi told the media in Islamabad. “The best thing that happened was that their mastermind, who is an Afghan affiliated with Daesh, was also apprehended.”

He confirmed that a Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police officer lost his life during a raid carried out at night, while a few others were also injured.

“The main mastermind is related to Daesh, and he is now under our custody,” he continued. “All the planning and training of this incident had been done by Daesh inside Afghanistan. These people are now with us, telling us all the details of how he [the bomber] was taken [to the neighboring country] and how he was trained there.”

Naqvi’s ministry also shared a brief statement on social media, saying that a breakthrough in the case was made through “technical and human intelligence” before coordinated raids were conducted to arrest the suspects.

“The nexus of terrorism under Afghan Taliban patronage remains a serious threat to regional peace,” it added.

The interior minister echoed the same concern while accusing India of bankrolling the militant operations against Pakistan.

“Now, you are taking the name of Daesh, or you are taking the name of Taliban,” he said while talking to journalists.

“They [the militants] are getting this funding from somewhere, someone is giving them this target.”

“I again want to tell you with clarity that all their funding is being given by India,” he added. “All their targets are being given by India.”

Islamabad has long accused Kabul of allowing its soil to be used by militant groups and New Delhi of backing their cross-border attacks against Pakistani civilians and security forces. However, the Afghan and Indian governments have consistently denied the allegations.

The police officer, who was killed in the shootout with militants in the northwestern district of Nowshera, was identified as Assistant Sub-Inspector Ejaz Khattak, Nowshera police spokesperson Turk Ali Shah told Arab News.

Friday’s mosque blast was the deadliest in Islamabad since a 2008 suicide bombing at the Marriott Hotel that killed 63 people and wounded more than 250. Last year in November, a suicide bomber struck outside a court in the capital, killing 12 people.

The latest attack comes as Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s government deals with a surge in militancy across Pakistan. Pakistani officials have said the attacker was a Pakistani national who had recently traveled to Afghanistan.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”