President Trump says he’s ‘working hard to end’ Sudan war

US President Donald Trump speaks at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington DC on Thursday. (Screenshot)
Short Url
Updated 05 February 2026
Follow

President Trump says he’s ‘working hard to end’ Sudan war

  • Trump first said he would start “working” on the war in Sudan last November, after Saudi crown prince asked him to help end the conflict during a visit to the US

LONDON: US President Donald Trump said on Thursday he is “working hard” to end the war in Sudan.

“I’m working hard to end that war. We’re very close to getting it done. That'll be number nine, if we don’t get Russia-Ukraine first. But we're working hard to end that whole war. We're very close to doing it. We've almost done it ” the president said at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington DC.

Trump first said he would start “working” on the war in Sudan last November, after Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman asked him to help end the conflict during a visit to the US.

“His majesty would like me to do something very powerful having to do with Sudan,” Trump said at the US-Saudi Investment Forum.

“It was not on my charts to be involved in, I thought it was just something that was crazy and out of control,” he added.

“But I just see how important that is to you, and to a lot of your friends in the room, Sudan. And we’re going to start working on Sudan.”

Since its outbreak in April 2023, the war between Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced nearly 12 million.


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.