Ukraine, Russia wrap ‘productive’ first day of US-backed peace talks

1 / 2
Ukrainian military paramedics carry a wounded civilian after a Russian shelling of the local market in the town of Druzhkivka, Donetsk region, on Feb. 4, 2026. (Ukrainian Police Press Service via AP)
2 / 2
Negotiators gathering in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday are seeking to advance fraught talks on how to end the four-year war. Above, A woman cleans debris in Kyiv following a Russian attack on Feb. 3, 2026. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 05 February 2026
Follow

Ukraine, Russia wrap ‘productive’ first day of US-backed peace talks

  • Talks focus on territory, Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant
  • Russia demands Ukraine withdraw from eastern Donetsk
  • Majority of Ukrainians oppose land concessions to Russia

KYIV: Ukrainian and Russian officials wrapped up a “productive” first day of new US-brokered talks in Abu Dhabi, Kyiv’s lead negotiator said on Wednesday, as fighting in Europe’s biggest conflict since World War Two raged on.
The two-day trilateral meetings come after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky ​said Russia had exploited a US-backed energy truce last week to stockpile munitions, attacking Ukraine with a record number of ballistic missiles on Tuesday.
“The work was substantive and productive, focused on concrete steps and practical solutions,” Rustem Umerov, the head of Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council, wrote on X.

The delegations from Moscow and Kyiv were joined in the talks by US officials, said Umerov, who was present during the meeting.
A US official, who offered comment on condition of anonymity, also called the talks productive and said they would continue on Thursday morning.
Zelensky, speaking in his nightly video address, said it was critical for the talks to lead to real peace and not offer Russia a new opportunity to continue the war. Ukraine’s partners, he said, had to exert more pressure on Moscow.
“It must be felt now. People in Ukraine must feel that the situation is genuinely moving toward peace and the end of the war, not toward Russia using everything to its advantage and continuing attacks,” Zelensky ‌said.
Zelensky also said ‌Ukraine expected the talks to lead to a new prisoner exchange soon.
The president, interviewed by ‌French ⁠television channel France ​2, said ‌the number of Ukrainian soldiers killed on the battlefield as a result of the war with Russia was estimated at 55,000.
Zelensky had previously cited a figure of more than 46,000 Ukrainian servicemen killed in an interview with US television network NBC in February 2025. Shortly after the talks began, Russian forces struck a crowded market in eastern Ukraine with cluster munitions, killing at least seven people and wounding 15, the Donetsk region’s Governor Vadym Filashkin said.
Photographs released earlier in the day by the United Arab Emirates’ foreign ministry showed the three delegations sitting around a U-shaped table, with US officials seated at the center, including special envoy Steve Witkoff and US President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner.
In Paris, diplomatic sources said French President Emmanuel Macron’s most senior diplomat, Emmanuel Bonne, met Russian officials ⁠in the Kremlin on Tuesday.
One of the sources said the aim was to have dialogue on key issues, most importantly Ukraine, but did not give details beyond that.

Major differences remain on key points
Trump’s administration has pushed both Kyiv and Moscow to find a compromise to end ‍the four-year-old war, but the two sides remain far apart on ‍key points despite several rounds of talks with US officials.
“The good news is that for the first time in a very long time, ‍we have technical military teams from both Ukraine and Russia meeting in a forum that we’ll also be involved in with our experts,” US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said in Washington on Wednesday. “I don’t want to say talks alone is progress, but it’s good that there’s engagement going on.”
The most sensitive issues are Moscow’s demands that Kyiv give up land it still controls and the fate of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, Europe’s largest, which sits in a Russian-occupied area.
Moscow wants ​Kyiv to pull its troops out of all the Donetsk region, including heavily fortified cities regarded as one of Ukraine’s strongest defenses, as a precondition for any deal.
Ukraine said the conflict should be frozen along current front lines and ⁠rejects any unilateral pullback of its forces.
Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday that Russian troops would keep fighting until Kyiv made “decisions” that could bring the war to an end.
Russia occupies about 20 percent of Ukraine’s national territory, including Crimea and parts of the eastern Donbas region seized before the 2022 invasion. Analysts say Russia has gained about 1.5 percent of Ukrainian territory since early 2024.
“Russia is not winning its war against Ukraine,” Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha told online media outlet Liga on Tuesday.

Ukrainians oppose painful concessions
Polls show that the majority of Ukrainians oppose a deal that hands Moscow more land. Kyiv residents told Reuters they were skeptical that new talks would bring a major breakthrough.
“Let’s hope that it will change (something), of course. But I don’t believe it will change anything now,” said Serhii, 38, a taxi driver. “We will not give in, and they will not give in either.”
The first round of talks was held in the UAE last month.
Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin hailed their ties during a video call on Wednesday held in the run-up to the fourth anniversary of the war.
The Kremlin said Xi, who it said supported the talks, had invited Putin to China in the coming ‌months. Beijing has sought to cast itself as a peacemaker and is a close ally of Moscow, which is increasingly struggling to fund its vast war economy.


After nearly 7 weeks and many rumors, Bolivia’s ex-leader reappears in his stronghold

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

After nearly 7 weeks and many rumors, Bolivia’s ex-leader reappears in his stronghold

  • Morales was Bolivia’s first Indigenous president who served from 2006 until his fraught 2019 ouster and subsequent self-exile
  • He dismissed rumors fueled by local politicians and fanned by social media that he would try to flee the country

LA PAZ: Bolivia’s long-serving socialist former leader, Evo Morales, reappeared Thursday in his political stronghold of the tropics after almost seven weeks of unexplained absence, endorsing candidates for upcoming regional elections and quieting rumors he had fled the country in the wake of the US seizure of his ally, Venezuela’s ex-President Nicolás Maduro.
The weeks of hand-wringing over Morales’ fate showed how little the Andean country knows about what’s happening in the remote Chapare region, where the former president has spent the past year evading an arrest warrant on human trafficking charges, and how vulnerable it is to fears about US President Donald Trump’s potential future foreign escapades.
The media outlet of Morales’ coca-growing union, Radio Kawsachun Coca, released footage of Morales smiling in dark sunglasses as he arrived via tractor at a stadium in the central Bolivian town of Chimoré to address his supporters.
Morales, Bolivia’s first Indigenous president who served from 2006 until his fraught 2019 ouster and subsequent self-exile, explained that he had come down with chikungunya, a mosquito-borne ailment with no treatment that causes fever and severe joint pain, and suffered complications that “caught me by surprise.”
“Take care of yourselves against chikungunya — it is serious,” the 66-year-old Morales said, appearing markedly more frail than in past appearances.
He dismissed rumors fueled by local politicians and fanned by social media that he would try to flee the country, vowing to remain in Bolivia despite the threat of arrest under conservative President Rodrigo Paz, whose election last October ended nearly two decades of rule by Morales’ Movement Toward Socialism party.
“Some media said, ‘Evo is going to leave, Evo is going to flee.’ I said clearly: I am not going to leave. I will stay with the people to defend the homeland,” he said.
Paz’s revival of diplomatic ties with the US and recent efforts to bring back the Drug Enforcement Administration — some 17 years after Morales expelled American anti-drug agents from the Andean country while cozying up to China, Russia, Cuba and Iran — have rattled the coca-growing region that serves as Morales’ bastion of support.
Paz on Thursday confirmed that he would meet Trump in Miami on March 7 for a summit convening politically aligned Latin American leaders as the Trump administration seeks to counter Chinese influence and assert US dominance in the region.
Before proclaiming the candidates he would endorse in Bolivia’s municipal and regional elections next month, Morales launched into a lengthy speech reminiscent of his once-frequent diatribes against US imperialism.
“This is geopolitical propaganda on an international scale,” he said of Trump’s bid to revive the Monroe Doctrine from 1823 in order to reassert American dominance in the Western Hemisphere. “They want to eliminate every left-wing party in Latin America.”