Cairo book fair breaks visitor records

1 / 10
King Abdulaziz Public Library placed the Encyclopedia of Saudi Arabia in a prominent position at the pavilion. (AN Photo/Fady Francis)
2 / 10
The 57th edition of the Cairo International Book Fair has attracted record public attendance, with the number of visits reaching nearly 6 million. (AN Photo/Fady Francis)
3 / 10
The 57th edition of the Cairo International Book Fair has attracted record public attendance, with the number of visits reaching nearly 6 million. (AN Photo/Fady Francis)
4 / 10
The 57th edition of the Cairo International Book Fair has attracted record public attendance, with the number of visits reaching nearly 6 million. (AN Photo/Fady Francis)
5 / 10
The 57th edition of the Cairo International Book Fair has attracted record public attendance, with the number of visits reaching nearly 6 million. (AN Photo/Fady Francis)
6 / 10
The 57th edition of the Cairo International Book Fair has attracted record public attendance, with the number of visits reaching nearly 6 million. (AN Photo/Fady Francis)
7 / 10
The 57th edition of the Cairo International Book Fair has attracted record public attendance, with the number of visits reaching nearly 6 million. (AN Photo/Fady Francis)
8 / 10
The 57th edition of the Cairo International Book Fair has attracted record public attendance, with the number of visits reaching nearly 6 million. (AN Photo/Fady Francis)
9 / 10
The 57th edition of the Cairo International Book Fair has attracted record public attendance, with the number of visits reaching nearly 6 million. (AN Photo/Fady Francis)
10 / 10
The 57th edition of the Cairo International Book Fair has attracted record public attendance, with the number of visits reaching nearly 6 million. (AN Photo/Fady Francis)
Short Url
Updated 03 February 2026
Follow

Cairo book fair breaks visitor records

  • Strong Saudi participation underscores KSA’s prominent role in Arab cultural landscape
  • Egyptian writer Naguib Mahfouz, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1988, was selected as the fair’s featured personality

CAIRO: The 57th edition of the Cairo International Book Fair has attracted record public attendance, with the number of visits reaching nearly 6 million, up from a reported 5.5 million previously.

Egypt’s Minister of Culture Ahmed Fouad Hanou said: “This strong turnout reflects the public’s eagerness across all age groups to engage with the exhibition’s diverse cultural and intellectual offerings.”

Hanou said the event included “literary and intellectual activities, meetings with thinkers and creative figures, and thousands of titles spanning various fields of knowledge.”

The Egyptian writer Naguib Mahfouz, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1988, was selected as the fair’s featured personality, coinciding with the 20th anniversary of his death.

The exhibition’s official poster features a famous quote by Mahfouz: “Who stops reading for an hour falls centuries behind.”

A total of 1,457 publishing houses from 83 countries participated in the fair. Mahfouz’s novels occupied a special place, as Egypt’s Diwan Library showcased the author’s complete works, about 54 books.

“The pavilion of the Egyptian National Library and Archives witnessed exceptionally high attendance throughout the fair, showcasing a collection of rare and significant books.

Among the highlights was the book “Mosques of Egypt” in Arabic and English, Dr. Sherif Saleh, head of financial and administrative affairs at the Egyptian National Library and Archives, told Arab News.

The fair ended on Tuesday with a closing ceremony that featured a cultural performance titled “Here is Cairo.”

The event included the announcement of the winners of the fair’s awards, as well as the recipient of the Naguib Mahfouz Award for Arabic Fiction.

Organizers described this year’s edition as having a celebratory and cultural character, bringing together literature, art, and cinema.

Romania was the guest of honor this year, coinciding with the 120th anniversary of Egyptian-Romanian relations.

At the Saudi pavilion, visitors were welcomed with traditional coffee. It showcased diverse aspects of Saudi culture, offering a rich experience of the Kingdom’s heritage and creativity.

There was significant participation from Saudi Arabia at the event, highlighting the Kingdom’s prominent role in the Arab cultural arena.

Saudi Arabia’s participation aimed to showcase its literary and intellectual output, in alignment with the objectives of Vision 2030.

The Kingdom’s delegation was led by Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador to Egypt Saleh bin Eid Al-Hussaini. Also in attendance were Dr. Abdul Latif Abdulaziz Al-Wasel, CEO of the Literature, Publishing and Translation Commission, and Dr. Hilah Al-Khalaf, the commission’s director-general.

The King Abdulaziz Public Library placed the Encyclopedia of Saudi Arabia in a prominent position at the pavilion. The encyclopedia, consisting of 20 volumes, is organized according to the Kingdom’s culturally diverse regions.

Founded in 1980 by King Abdullah, the library was established to facilitate access to knowledge and preserve heritage collections. Over the years, it has grown into one of the Kingdom’s most important cultural institutions.

Internationally, the library has strengthened ties between Saudi Arabia and China, including the opening of a branch at Peking University and receiving the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman Award for Cultural Cooperation between the two nations.

Regionally, the library has played a pivotal role in the Arab world through the creation of the Unified Arabic Cataloging Project, one of the most important initiatives contributing to knowledge accessibility and alignment with global standards.


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 57 min 38 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.