CAIRO: The United Nations food agency is shutting down its operations in northern Yemen, following restrictions imposed by Houthi militants and harassment from the Iranian-backed group, UN officials said Thursday.
The World Food Program’s move is likely to worsen the dire humanitarian conditions in the impoverished country amid the Houthis’ crackdown on UN workers and aid groups in areas under their control, as well as funding shortages.
Yemen descended into a devastating civil war in 2014, when the Houthis pushed from their northern stronghold of Saada province and seized the capital of Sanaa, forcing the internationally recognized government out and to the south, and eventually into exile.
The Houthis now control most of the country’s north, including Sanaa, while the internationally recognized government, which is backed by a Saudi-led coalition, rules the south.
According to the UN officials, the WFP’s 365 staff members in northern Yemen will lose their jobs by the end of March. One official blamed the “insecure operating environment” in the Houthi-controlled areas and lack of sufficient funding for the WFP decision.
Over the last few years, the Houthis have cracked down on the UN in their areas of control, detaining dozens of UN staffers as well as workers for nongovernmental and civil society groups, and staffers of diplomatic missions.
The group has escalated its crackdown in recent months, forcibly entering and occupying UN premises in Sanaa and other elsewhere. They have claimed, without offering evidence, that detained UN staff and employees of other organizations and embassies are spies, which the UN has denied.
The crackdown severely restricted humanitarian operations in the Houthi-held areas, which account to around 70 percent of humanitarian needs in the country, according to the UN
Ramesh Rajasingham, who directs humanitarian operations in Yemen, told the UN Security Council earlier this month that more than 18 million people in Yemen could face acute food insecurity in the coming month, with tens of thousands at risk of slipping into “catastrophic hunger” and facing famine-like conditions.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, or OCHA, said humanitarian operations in Yemen in 2025 were just 25 percent funded. The gap, OCHA said in a Jan. 4 report, forced UN agencies and aid groups to scale back life-saving services across all sectors, particularly health and protection programs.
This left “millions of people without essential care and exposed to heightened risks,” the agency said.
UN food agency shutting down in Houthi-held northern Yemen
https://arab.news/mrerr
UN food agency shutting down in Houthi-held northern Yemen
- World Food Program officials said 365 staff members will lose their jobs
- Houthis have cracked down on UN workers and aid groups in areas under their control
Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters
- Renewed talks scheduled in early March and could possibly lead to an interim deal
DUBAI: Iran and the United States have differing views over the scope and mechanism to lift sanctions on Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that new talks were planned in early March. The official said Tehran could seriously consider a combination of exporting part of its highly enriched uranium (HEU) stockpile, diluting the purity of its HEU and a regional consortium for enriching uranium, but in return Iran’s right to “peacful nuclear enrichment” must be recognized.
“The negotiations continue and the possibility of reaching an interim agreement exists,” the official said. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said on Friday that he expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days following nuclear talks with the United States this week, while US President Donald Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.
The senior official said Tehran will not hand over control of its oil and mineral resources but US companies can always participate as contractors in Iran’s oil and gas fields.










