Villa seal place in Europa League last 16 as Celtic draw in Italy

Aston Villa’s Matty Cash challenges Fenerbahce’s Kerem Akturkoglu for the ball during their Europa League opening phase match in Istanbul, Jan. 22, 2026. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 22 January 2026
Follow

Villa seal place in Europa League last 16 as Celtic draw in Italy

  • Jadon Sancho’s header midway through the first half in Istanbul earned Villa a sixth victory
  • Villa are second in the standings on 18 points and only trail Lyon on goal difference

PARIS: Aston Villa secured their place in the last 16 of the Europa League on Thursday with a 1-0 win at Fenerbahce, while Celtic blew a two-goal lead against Bologna to jeopardize their qualification hopes.
Jadon Sancho’s header midway through the first half in Istanbul earned Villa a sixth victory in seven European games, clinching a spot in the top eight and allowing Unai Emery’s team to bypass the knockout phase play-offs.
Matty Cash struck the post in the second half and Villa held on as goalkeeper Marco Bizot produced a string of key saves with Fenerbahce pushing for an equalizer.
Villa are second in the standings on 18 points and only trail Lyon on goal difference. Lyon won 1-0 at Swiss side Young Boys to ensure their spot in the last 16.
Celtic had to settle for a 2-2 draw away to Bologna, leaving them in danger of failing to advance from the league phase.
Martin O’Neill’s side led through Reo Hatate’s early strike, but the Japan international was sent off for a second booking on 34 minutes.
Defender Auston Trusty doubled Celtic’s advantage before half-time, but Bologna fought their way back with goals from Thijs Dallings and Jonathan Rowe.
Celtic are 23rd in the 36-team table but could be overtaken by a handful of sides playing later on Thursday. The Scottish champions host Utrecht in their final game next week.
Nottingham Forest are bidding for a fourth win in five in Europe as Sean Dyche’s men take on Braga in Portugal.


Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim

  • Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments
  • Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue

MANCHESTER: Manchester United co-owner Jim Ratcliffe has been reminded of his “responsibilities as a participant in English football” after he triggered a storm of criticism for claiming Britain had been “colonized” by immigrants.
But England’s Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments, which were widely condemned by political figures, including British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, and the club’s supporters.
The governing body issued Ratcliffe with a reminder of his responsibilities when taking part in media interviews, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Friday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.
British billionaire Ratcliffe, who owns petrochemicals giant INEOS, made the comments during an interview with Sky News, which aired last week.
“You can’t have an economy with 9 million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in,” he said. “I mean, the UK’s been colonized.”
Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue. He later said he was sorry his choice of language had “offended some people.”
Starmer had earlier called for him to apologize, saying “Britain is a proud, tolerant and diverse country.”
United fans, who are proud of the diversity within the team and their supporter base, also condemned his words.
The Manchester United Supporters Trust said the “senior leadership should make inclusion easier, not harder.”
Critics accused Ratcliffe of “hypocrisy,” saying he has chosen to make his home in Monaco to reduce his UK tax bill.
Carrick proud of Man United’s culture
United’s head coach, Michael Carrick, said earlier Friday that the Premier League club was proud of their culture of equality and diversity.
Carrick, who was recently hired as coach until the end of the season, faced the media for the first time since Ratcliffe’s remarks and he was asked for his response.
“Sir Jim has made a statement, and then the club’s made a statement on the back of it so for me to add to that is not my place,” he said. “What I can say is, as I’ve been around this club many, many years, we always make a huge impact globally.
“We’re really proud of the environment and the culture that we’ve got at the club, and equality and diversity and respect for each other is something that we look to carry through every day.”