Influential Israeli minister Smotrich calls for US-led center for Gaza to be shuttered

Israeli far-right Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich speaks during a a press conference near the settlement of Maale Adumim. (FILE/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 19 January 2026
Follow

Influential Israeli minister Smotrich calls for US-led center for Gaza to be shuttered

  • Smotrich also says hostile states should be removed from center
  • Calls for ultimatum to Hamas, then full-force assault

JERUSALEM: Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich urged Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday to shut a US-led multinational coordinating ​center that supports President Donald Trump’s plan to end the Gaza war.
Washington established the Civil Military Coordination Center (CMCC) last October as a center for civilian and military personnel from other countries to work alongside US and Israeli officials on post-war Gaza planning.
“The time has come to dismantle the headquarters in Kiryat Gat,” said Smotrich, the influential, far-right cabinet minister, in remarks shared by his office to media, referring to the Israeli city northeast of Gaza where the center is based.
The Israeli prime minister’s office, the US State Department ‌and the US ‌military’s Central Command did not immediately respond to requests ‌for ⁠comment ​on the ‌remarks.
Smotrich also said that Britain, Egypt and other countries that are “hostile to Israel and undermine its security” should be removed from the CMCC. The British and Egyptian foreign ministry did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Central Command in December said that 60 countries and organizations were represented at the center. The CMCC has also been tasked with facilitating humanitarian aid entering Gaza.
The US-led CMCC was established after Trump announced his 20-point plan to end the war. Germany, ⁠France, and Canada are also among countries that have sent personnel there.
Smotrich, speaking at an event marking the ‌establishment of a new Jewish settlement in the Israeli-occupied West ‍Bank, said that Hamas should be given ‍a “very short” ultimatum to disarm and go into exile, and once that ultimatum expires, ‍the military should storm Gaza with “full force” to destroy the militant group.
“Mr. Prime Minister, it’s either us or them. Either full Israeli control, the destruction of Hamas, and the continued long-term suppression of terrorism, encouragement of the enemy’s emigration outward and permanent Israeli settlement,” he said.
The plan, announced by Trump in ​September, states that members of Hamas who commit to peaceful coexistence and to decommission their weapons will be given amnesty. Those who want to leave ⁠Gaza will be given safe passage to other countries.
The White House last week announced that the president’s plan to end the war was moving to the second phase, which would include the demilitarization and reconstruction of Gaza.
Under the initial phase of the plan, Israel and Hamas agreed to a ceasefire in Gaza that went into effect in October.
Hamas also released the remaining living hostages abducted from Israel during the October 2023 attack, who had been held in Gaza since then. The remains of all but one deceased hostage have been handed over as well.
Since the ceasefire started, Israel has repeatedly carried out air strikes in Gaza.
Over ‌460 Palestinians and three Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza since the ceasefire came into effect.


Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan

Updated 49 min 13 sec ago
Follow

Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan

  • Israeli authorities said they would only allow up to 10,000 Palestinian worshippers from the West Bank to attend prayers at al-Aqsa

Palestinian worshippers coming from West Bank cities arrived at Israeli checkpoints on Friday hoping to cross to attend first Friday prayers of Ramadan at al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.

Some said they were not allowed to enter and were asked to go back.

Israeli authorities said they would only allow up to 10,000 Palestinian worshippers from the West Bank to attend prayers at al-Aqsa, as security forces stepped up deployments across the city.

Police said preparations for Ramadan had been completed, with large numbers of officers and border police to be deployed in the Old City, around holy sites and along routes used by worshippers. 

Israel's COGAT, a military agency that controls access to the West Bank and Gaza, said that entry to Jerusalem from the West Bank would be capped at 10,000 worshippers. Men aged 55 and over and women aged 50 and over will be eligible to enter, along with children up to age 12 accompanied by a first-degree relative, COGAT said. 

Al-Aqsa lies at the heart of Jerusalem's old city. It is Islam's third holiest site and known to Jews as Temple Mount.