Barrack: US working to prevent escalation and restoring talks between Damascus and SDF

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani watches as US special envoy for Syria Tom Barrack speaks during a press conference in Damascus, Syria. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 January 2026
Follow

Barrack: US working to prevent escalation and restoring talks between Damascus and SDF

United States Special Envoy to Syria Tom Barrack said efforts to de-escalate the situation were ongoing amid rising tensions between the Syrian Democratic Forces and the Syrian government.

In a post on X on Friday, Barrack said that the US “remains in close contact with all parties in Syria and is working around the clock to de-escalate the situation and prevent further escalation.”

The comments come as both sides traded accusations over the failure to implement the March 10 agreement.

Barrack also indicated that Washington was seeking to resume negotiations between the Syrian government and the SDF in the wake of clashes between the SDF and the Syrian army which left at least 24 people dead and more than 100 injured.

Ilham Ahmed, a Kurdish official in the Autonomous Administration, said on Thursday that the government’s claim that the agreement had not been implemented was “incorrect,” adding that “the international community knows this.”

Ahmed also claimed statements by Syrian President Ahmed Al-Sharaa were also viewed as a declaration of war.

Al-Sharaa accused Kurdish forces of failing to implement the agreement he signed last year in Damascus with SDF commander Mazloum Abdi, stressing that the deal called for a unified Syria without federalism.

He also warned that the Syrian government would not remain idle, saying he was “not threatening, but describing reality.”

Relations between the two sides have deteriorated amid the stalled implementation of the agreement, which was due to be completed by the end of last year.

Tensions escalated further last week when clashes broke out between Kurdish forces and the Syrian army in Aleppo, before spreading to the eastern Aleppo countryside.


Iran FM in Geneva for second round of US talks

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Iran FM in Geneva for second round of US talks

GENEVA: Iran’s foreign minister has arrived in Geneva ahead of a second round of negotiations with the United States, Iranian state television said Monday, as Washington keeps up pressure on the Islamic republic.
According to Tehran, “indirect” Iran-US nuclear talks mediated by Oman will be held on Tuesday, although Washington has previously pushed for other topics to be discussed including Iran’s ballistic missiles and support for regional proxies.
Tehran and Washington restarted negotiations this month after previous talks collapsed when Israel launched an unprecedented bombing campaign against Iran last June.
Considerable uncertainty surrounds the fate of Iran’s stockpile of more than 400 kilogrammes of 60-percent enriched uranium that was last seen by nuclear watchdog inspectors in June.
“The foreign minister has arrived in Geneva at the head of a diplomatic and expert delegation to take part in the second round of nuclear negotiation,” Iran’s state-run IRIB wrote on its Telegram channel.
During his visit to Geneva, Abbas Araghchi is expected to hold talks with his Swiss and Omani counterparts as well as the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, and other international officials, Iran’s foreign ministry said.
Washington has dispatched Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, the White House confirmed on Sunday.
The latest talks follow repeated threats from Trump of military action against Tehran, first over Iran’s deadly crackdown on anti-government protests, and then more recently over the country’s nuclear program.
The West fears the program is aimed at making a bomb, which Tehran denies.
On Friday, Trump said a change of government in Iran would be the “best thing that could happen,” as he sent a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East to ratchet up military pressure.
Iran’s deputy foreign minister told the BBC that Tehran would consider compromises on its uranium stockpile if Washington lifts sanctions that have crippled the Islamic republic’s economy.
“If we see the sincerity on their (American) part, I am sure we will be on a road to have an agreement,” said Majid Takht-Ravanchi.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that any deal must involve the removal of all enriched uranium from Iran as well as Tehran’s ability to enrich more.
“There should be no enrichment capability... dismantle the equipment and the infrastructure that allows you to enrich in the first place,” he said during a speech in Jerusalem.

- ‘Viable’ deal -

On February 6, Araghchi led the Iranian delegation in indirect talks with Witkoff and Kushner in Muscat.
Switzerland has played a key role in diplomatic relations between Iran and the United States for decades.
It has represented US interests in Iran since Washington broke off relations with Tehran after the 1980 hostage crisis, a year after the Iranian revolution.
Iranian deputy foreign minister for economic diplomacy Hamid Ghanbari said Tehran was seeking a deal with the United States that would generate economic benefits for both countries, particularly in sectors such as aviation, mining and oil and gas, the Fars news agency reported.
“For the agreement to be viable, it is essential that the United States also be able to benefit from it in areas with strong and rapid economic return potential,” he was quoted as saying.