A thousand Kyiv apartment blocks still without heating after Russian strike

Residential buildings during a power blackout after critical civil infrastructure was hit by recent Russian missile and drone attacks in Kyiv, Ukraine. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 11 January 2026
Follow

A thousand Kyiv apartment blocks still without heating after Russian strike

  • Ukraine’s energy ministry said Russian forces had attacked the country’s power system again during the night, briefly cutting off electricity to the south-eastern Dnipropetrovsk and Zaporizhzhia regions

KYIV: More than 1,000 apartment buildings in the Ukrainian capital Kyiv are still without heating following a devastating Russian ​attack earlier this week, local authorities said on Sunday.
Russia has intensified bombardments of Ukraine’s energy system since it invaded its neighbor in 2022.
On Friday, a missile strike on Kyiv left virtually the entire city without power and ‌heating amid ‌a sharp cold snap, and ‌it ⁠was ​not ‌until Sunday that authorities restored water supplies and partially restored electricity and heating.
The war’s fourth winter could be the coldest and darkest yet, with the accumulated damage to the grid bringing utilities to the ⁠brink and temperatures, already below minus 12 degrees Celsius (10.4 ‌F), set to plunge ‍to minus 20 ‍degrees (-4 F) later this week.
“Restoration work is ‍ongoing. However, the energy supply situation in the capital remains very difficult,” Kyiv Mayor Vitalii Klitschko said on Telegram.
“According to forecasts, the ​severe frosts are not expected to subside in the coming days. Therefore, ⁠the difficult situation in the capital will continue,” he added.
Ukraine’s energy ministry said Russian forces had attacked the country’s power system again during the night, briefly cutting off electricity to the south-eastern Dnipropetrovsk and Zaporizhzhia regions.
“Not a single day passed this week without attacks on energy facilities and critical infrastructure. A total of 44 attacks were ‌recorded,” Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko said on Telegram.


Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

  • Norway declined to say how many soldiers it was relocating and which locations were affected
  • Norway has forces stationed in several sites in Iraq and other nearby countries

COPENHAGEN: Norway is relocating some of the around 60 soldiers it has in the Middle East to Norway as well as to other countries in the region on security grounds, a spokesperson for the Norwegian armed forces ⁠said on Friday.
US ⁠President Donald Trump warned Iran on Thursday it must make a deal over its nuclear program or “really bad things” will happen, setting a deadline of 10 ⁠to 15 days, drawing a threat from Tehran to retaliate against US bases in the region if attacked.
Norway declined to say how many soldiers it was relocating and which locations were affected.
“These are soldiers who have jobs like training local forces and other missions,” Lt. Col. Vegard Finberg from ⁠the Norwegian ⁠Joint Headquarters told Reuters.
“The way the situation is now, it’s not possible for them to do their primary tasks, and that’s why we are relocating them,” he said, adding other nations had made similar moves in recent days.
Norway has forces stationed in several sites in Iraq and other nearby countries.