Pakistan says 13 militants killed in counterterror operations in northwest

A Pakistani soldier walks past a demolished hideout of suspected militants during an operation in Peshawar on April 16, 2019. (AFP/ file)
Short Url
Updated 14 December 2025
Follow

Pakistan says 13 militants killed in counterterror operations in northwest

  • Security forces kill 13 militants in northwestern Bannu and Mohmand districts, says military’s media wing
  • Military vows to continue action against militants at “full pace” to eliminate “foreign-sponsored terrorism“

PESHAWAR: Security forces killed 13 militants affiliated with the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) or Pakistani Taliban this week in the country’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province during two counterterror operations, the military’s media wing said on Sunday. 

The first of the two operations, which took place on Dec. 12-13, was carried out in KP’s Mohmand district. Seven militants belonging to the TTP were killed during the operation, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said in a statement. 

The second operation took place in Bannu district where six militants were killed. The ISPR said security forces were carrying out sanitization operations in the area to eliminate any more “Indian-sponsored kharji” in the area. 

“Security Forces and Law Enforcement Agencies of Pakistan will continue at full pace to wipe out the menace of foreign-sponsored and supported terrorism from the country,” the ISPR vowed. 

Pakistan’s military frequently uses the term “khawarij” to describe the TTP. It accuses India of arming and funding militant groups in KP and Balochistan provinces, charges that New Delhi has denied. 

Islamabad alleges that TTP militants and other outfits plan militant attacks on Pakistan from Afghanistan and enjoy sanctuary in the country. 

Kabul rejects these allegations and says it cannot be held responsible for Pakistan’s security, which it says is Islamabad’s internal matter. 

These allegations have triggered tensions between Pakistan and Afghanistan, resulting in deadly border clashes in October that killed dozens of soldiers.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.