Move to strip former Israeli leader’s name from a Dublin park sparks an outcry in Ireland

A drone view shows 'Herzog Park' commemorating Chaim Herzog, Israel's sixth president, who was born in Belfast, as Dublin City Council has prepared a motion to rename 'Herzog Park' to 'Hind Rajab Park' after Hind Rajab from Gaza, in Dublin, Ireland, November 30, 2025. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 02 December 2025
Follow

Move to strip former Israeli leader’s name from a Dublin park sparks an outcry in Ireland

  • Public sentiment in Ireland is strongly pro-Palestinian, especially among those on the left
  • The park in south Dublin was named in 1995 for Chaim Herzog, the sixth president of Israel, part of a family with strong ties to Ireland

LONDON: A proposal to rename a Dublin park named after a former Israeli president has sparked an outcry, with Ireland’s chief rabbi saying it would be “a shameful erasure” of the country’s Jewish history.
Supporters argue that renaming Herzog Park would be a gesture of solidarity with Palestinians following the Israeli offensive in the Gaza Strip that left more than 70,000 people dead, according to the territory’s Health Ministry.
A proposal from Dublin City Council’s Commemorations and Naming Committee to strip Herzog’s name from the park was due for a vote at a council meeting on Monday evening. But after days of acrimony, Lord Mayor Ray McAdam said the proposal would be withdrawn.




Former Israeli president Chaim Herzog is pictured in Jerusalem, on May 12, 1993. (AP)

Council Chief Executive Richard Shakespeare said the issue could not be voted on for technical reasons, because the “correct statutory procedure” had not been followed.
The park in south Dublin was named in 1995 for Chaim Herzog, the sixth president of Israel, part of a family with strong ties to Ireland. Herzog was born in Belfast and raised in Dublin, and was the son of Yitzhak HaLevi Herzog, Ireland’s first chief rabbi.
He served as president of Israel between 1983 and 1993. His son, Isaac Herzog, is the country’s current president.
In a post on X, the Israeli president’s office said renaming the park would be “shameful and disgraceful.”
Members of the left-leaning Irish political parties People Before Profit and Sinn Fein supported the name change. Sinn Fein city councilor Daithí Doolan said it was “an act of solidarity with Palestinians” and a criticism of Israel’s conduct of the war in Gaza.
Public sentiment in Ireland is strongly pro-Palestinian, especially among those on the left. Many see similarities between the struggle for Palestinian statehood and Ireland’s long fight for independence from Britain.
Ireland’s center-right government was one of the first in Europe to recognize a Palestinian state. Israel announced a year ago it would close its Dublin embassy over what it called Ireland’s extreme anti-Israel policies.”
The Irish government has opposed renaming the park, with Prime Minister Micheál Martin calling the idea “divisive and wrong.”
Ireland’s Chief Rabbi Yoni Wieder said removing Herzog’s name would be “a shameful erasure of a central part of Irish Jewish history.”
He said the Herzog family “embodied the bond between the Irish story and the Jewish story,” noting that Ireland and Israel had common history as “two small courageous nations both struggling for independence from British rule.”
“Today, you don’t hear about this shared history anymore,” he told national broadcaster RTE. “There are parts of our society, such as the people proposing this move, that want to whitewash this part of our history, but we need to acknowledge this kinship between Irish nationalism and Jewish nationalism was recognized and valued.”
The Israel-Hamas war started after the Palestinian militant group led a surprise attack on Oct. 7, 2023, leaving 1,200 people dead and more than 250 others were taken hostage.
Despite a US-brokered ceasefire reached last month, Israeli strikes on the Palestinian territory have continued, raising the death toll, according to the Gaza Health Ministry, which operates under the Hamas-run government. It is staffed by medical professionals and maintains detailed records viewed as generally reliable by the international community.

 


Hungary to release 1.8 million barrels of crude oil from strategic reserves

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Hungary to release 1.8 million barrels of crude oil from strategic reserves

  • Croatia’s JANAF pipeline operator, however, said there was no need for Budapest to tap its reserves
  • Hungary and Slovakia have been trying to secure supply since flows were halted on January 27

BUDAPEST: Hungary’s government will release about 1.8 million barrels of crude oil from its strategic reserves after a drone attack on the Druzhba pipeline late last month stopped oil flow, according to a government decree published late on Thursday.
Croatia’s JANAF pipeline operator, however, said there was no need for Budapest to tap its reserves after Hungary’s oil company MOL said on Friday JANAF must allow transit of Russian seaborne oil to Hungary and Slovakia during the Druzhba outage.
“At this ⁠moment, a significant ⁠quantity of non-Russian crude oil is being transported via JANAF’s pipeline for MOL Group, while three additional tankers carrying non-Russian oil, also for MOL Group, are on their way to the Omisalj Terminal,” JANAF said in a statement.
“There was no need to tap into (their) reserves since oil transport via the JANAF pipeline toward MOL’s refineries is being carried out continuously and without ⁠delays.”
Hungary and Slovakia, which have the only remaining refineries in the EU using Russian oil through Druzhba, have been trying to secure supply since flows were halted on January 27 following what Ukraine said was a Russian drone attack that damaged pipeline infrastructure.
Both countries have blamed Ukraine for the delay in restarting the flows for political reasons.

SCRAMBLE FOR CRUDE SUPPLIES
MOL is entitled to priority access to released crude oil reserves, and it will have access to the freed reserves until April 15 and has to return them by August 24, the Hungarian government decree said.
At the end of January, ⁠Hungary had ⁠enough crude oil and petroleum product reserves to cover 96 days, according to data on the Hungarian Hydrocarbon Stockpiling Association’s website.
As the two countries scramble to ensure supplies, MOL ordered tankers delivering Saudi, Norwegian, Kazakh, Libyan and Russian oil to supply its Hungarian and Slovak refineries and halted diesel deliveries to Ukraine earlier this week.
MOL said that first shipments were expected to arrive at the port of Omisalj in Croatia in early March. After that, it will take a further 5-12 days for the crude oil to reach its refineries.
The Slovak government has also declared an oil emergency situation and has pledged to release 1.825 million barrels of oil following a request from Slovakia’s Slovnaft refinery, which is owned by MOL.