National Guard shooting suspect radicalized in US, homeland secretary says

Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, an Afghan national who is the suspect in the shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, DC. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 30 November 2025
Follow

National Guard shooting suspect radicalized in US, homeland secretary says

  • Noem’s comments suggest that Lakanwal, who was part of a CIA-backed unit in Afghanistan, may have embraced extremism after arriving in the US

WASHINGTON: US authorities believe the Afghan immigrant accused of ambushing National Guard members in Washington, D.C., was not radicalized until after he came to the United States, Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said on Sunday.
Speaking on NBC’s “Meet the Press” and ABC’s “This Week,” Noem said authorities think that alleged shooter Rahmanullah Lakanwal was already living in Washington state when he became radicalized.

Investigators are seeking more information from family members and others, Noem said.

Authorities identified Lakanwal, 29, as the suspect in a Wednesday shooting that took place just blocks away from the White House and which killed one National Guard member and critically wounded another.

After the shooting, US President Donald Trump’s administration pointed to a lack of vetting of Afghans and other foreign nationals during the term of former President Joe Biden, although Lakanwal was granted asylum under Trump.

Lakanwal entered the US in 2021 as part of the Biden administration’s mass evacuation of Afghans who aided US forces during the two-decade war in Afghanistan as the Taliban took power.

He was granted asylum in April by Trump’s administration, a government file reviewed by Reuters showed.

Noem’s comments suggest that Lakanwal, who was part of a CIA-backed unit in Afghanistan, may have embraced extremism after arriving in the US.
“We believe he was radicalized since he’s been here in this country,” Noem told NBC News.

“We do believe it was through connections in his home community and state, and we’re going to continue to talk to those who interacted with him, who were his family members.” Noem said.

US officials have received “some participation” so far from people who knew Lakanwal and warned that the US would pursue anyone connected to the shooting.
“Anyone who has the information on this needs to know that we will be coming after you, and we will bring you to justice,” Noem said.

After Wednesday’s attack, the Trump administration took steps to clamp down on some legal immigration, including a freeze on processing of all asylum applications.
Noem said on Sunday that immigration officials would consider deporting people with active asylum cases if it was warranted.
“We are going to go through every single person that has a pending asylum claim,” she said.


Trump administration expands ICE authority to detain refugees

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Trump administration expands ICE authority to detain refugees

  • Under US law, refugees must apply for lawful permanent resident status one year after their arrival in the country
WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has given immigration officers broader powers to detain legal refugees awaiting a green card to ensure they are “re-vetted,” an apparent expansion of ​the president’s wide-ranging crackdown on legal and illegal immigration, according to a government memo.
The US Department of Homeland Security, in a memo dated February 18 and submitted in a federal court filing, said refugees must return to government custody for “inspection and examination” a year after their admission into the United States.
“This detain-and-inspect requirement ensures that refugees are re-vetted after one year, aligns post-admission vetting with that ‌applied to ‌other applicants for admission, and promotes public ​safety,” ‌the ⁠department said ​in ⁠the memo.
Under US law, refugees must apply for lawful permanent resident status one year after their arrival in the country. The new memo authorizes immigration authorities to detain individuals for the duration of the re-inspection process.
The new policy is a shift from the earlier 2010 memorandum, which stated that failure to obtain lawful permanent resident status ⁠was not a “basis” for removal from the country ‌and not a “proper basis” for ‌detention.
The DHS did not respond to ​a Reuters request for comment outside ‌regular business hours.
The decision has prompted criticism from refugee advocacy groups.
AfghanEvac’s ‌president Shawn VanDiver called the directive “a reckless reversal of long-standing policy” and said it “breaks faith with people the United States lawfully admitted and promised protection.”
HIAS, formerly known as the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, said the “move ‌will cause grave harm to thousands of people who were welcomed to the United States after ⁠fleeing violence ⁠and persecution.” Under President Donald Trump, the number of people in ICE detention reached about 68,000 this month, up about 75 percent from when he took office last year.
Trump’s hard-line immigration agenda was a potent campaign issue that helped him win the 2024 election.
A US judge in January temporarily blocked a recently announced Trump administration policy targeting the roughly 5,600 lawful refugees in Minnesota who are awaiting green cards.
In a written ruling, US District Judge John Tunheim in Minneapolis said federal agents likely violated multiple federal statutes by ​arresting some of these refugees ​to subject them to additional vetting.